• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Future proof?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cheece2001

I am thinking of switching from intel to amd as i can see that the venice core is insane with high overclocking potential. Will amd be still using the 939 socket for a while like in the futre. As i hear intel will be using the 775 slot for a long time and through to the days of dual core cihps. The will work on the 775.

I am not sure if amd will be doing some major changes in the future in terms of the socket and huge changes to their cpu. I was thinking of upgrading from my [email protected] to something like:

3200+ venice core
DFI Lanparty SLI-dr
and some OCZ pc4000 VX

I am hoping that this config is much better than the [email protected]. I hope its worth the upgrade. ...or should i wait for the dual core amd. I really don't like to wait. Will the amd dual core be a big jump? Right now I really don't know and need you thought on this.

thanks

they alway ssay they will use onr socket for a long time and 2 years later usually they change.

nothing is really future proof with computers today.

damn...but do u think that upgrade above is better than what i have right now

It gaming it'd be better quite easily. It looks like a venice core at 3Ghz will get about 14k mips in sandra if that gives you any indication of general performance. I think AMD has a new socket planned for early '06.

That's a very nice system. I would enjoy that for a while.

See if Venice overclocking expectations materialize in the next few weeks to consider the jump...

Dual cores are coming but they won't be as cheap as Venice... if that's a concern.

From what i've heard amd's next socket is called M2 and will support ddr2. It will also combine the budget, mainstream and highend into one socket so we won't have the whole socket 754/939/940 confusion again.

Yeah as soon as AMD goes DDR2 you will need a new motherboard. Honestly planing a build past 2 years seem silly to me. If you plan just enough you can time things so you only need to sepend ~$500 every two years atmost. The big investment is going to be your video card as AGP is now on the down slope while PCI-E is on its way up.

right now, the "most futureproof", will be an AMD 939 socket with SLI setup.

The truth is, you can't wait forever. Every 3-6 months, there will be an upgrade in the computer world. Buy a nice system now, and be happy with it.

Frankly, if you have a system that is "future proof" for two years, you are lucky. And Venice is going to be about as close as you can get for a while. Dual Core will probably take off, but a single core venice system will most likely be able to perform most applications "as well" as a dual core system for at least a year...
I remember back it the old days when Moore's law was in full swing and there would be something twice as fast actually out within 18 months. Then again, we did stick to one architecture and motherboard for a lot longer.

The new AMD socket M (1062 pins) will be out sometime in 1 or 2 Q 2006 and it'll support new A64 with DDR2 capabilities.I think that S939 is a good investment and that in stock it'll outperform your rig easily...Your choice..

i guese i will be sticking with amd and i am very happy with that choice. I gese i will get the 3400+ since i heard from others that they aren't making a 3200+ venice. Right now i don't know how sli is doing. Is it worth inversting in it? I don't know how sli will be in the future. Is it doing good or bad. Becaues its alot of money for investing in 2 cards. If its worth it i guese i will have to ebay my stuff (9800 Pro) From the info. i got from you guys ....i think its time....time to make my change to amd from intel.

so..please tell me if its worth investing in this SLI stuff.

Honestly i dont think its worth it to invest in SLI, many games do not support sli and for the moment your stuck buying nVidia products. This is not that bad now but who knows what the next generation will be like it could be like the Radon9xxx serise vs the fx5xxx again and your up ****s creek with two dustbusters and a hole where your wallet used to be.

wellli could get a x850. isn't it like cheaper than the geforce. Will there be a new geforce coming out soon?

Back