• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help getting started Ultra NF4-D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HousERaT

Senior Air Extraordinaire
O.k. I've managed to get everything going..... only problem thus far is getting my system to boot with 2 dimm slots full. Right now I'm running one stick of ram (Kingston HyperX BH-5) in Dimm slot 2 and as soon as I put the other stick in Dimm 4 I get the long beep, long pause, long beep.... only 3 diagnotic lights are lit when I put in the second ram stick.

I've gone through the troubleshooting I know about (clearing cmos, flashed bios to 2/18, tried my UTT and TCCD sticks) and nothing is solving this. I'm running the memory at 2.9v 2-2-2-6 200MHz.... (started out the ram at relaxed timings and that didn't help either). I haven't overclocked anything yet. I must be missing something. Someone please give me the keys to this system so I can start overclocking. Thanks.....

The RaT

Try removing the cmos battery, wait 10sec then reinstall it. lower your voltage on your ram. recheck all your bios settings

HousERaT said:
O.k. I've managed to get everything going..... only problem thus far is getting my system to boot with 2 dimm slots full. Right now I'm running one stick of ram (Kingston HyperX BH-5) in Dimm slot 2 and as soon as I put the other stick in Dimm 4 I get the long beep, long pause, long beep.... only 3 diagnotic lights are lit when I put in the second ram stick.

I've gone through the troubleshooting I know about (clearing cmos, flashed bios to 2/18, tried my UTT and TCCD sticks) and nothing is solving this. I'm running the memory at 2.9v 2-2-2-6 200MHz.... (started out the ram at relaxed timings and that didn't help either). I haven't overclocked anything yet. I must be missing something. Someone please give me the keys to this system so I can start overclocking. Thanks.....

The RaT

Dont know what the numbers are but you WANT to use the two orange slots for ram.

Last edited:
Boot with one ram in the furthest orange slot. Be happy that the system is stable and memtest error free.

If so confident, flash to the official 301 bios (a bios that is made to handle what was previously unstable ram on this mobo) - and that should work

(But as always a BIOS flash is at your own risk.)

Ailleur said:
Dont know what the numbers are but you cant to use the two orange slots for ram.
I'm using them at the moment and AFAIK it is even recommended to use both orange slots.
Unfortunately I can'T add anything helpful. Could be that the key lies in bios.
Just in case you didn't know the whole procedure and in case it is important to do it just like that:
Clear CMOS, the DFI Street way
1. pull power
2. pull battery
3. clear cmos jumper for minimum of 30-60 seconds
4. replace cmos jumper to normal position
5. replace battery
6. replace power
7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults
8. save and exit
9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking.

I hope you can enjoy your system soon.

Lifthanger said:
I'm using them at the moment and AFAIK it is even recommended to use both orange slots.
Unfortunately I can'T add anything helpful. Could be that the key lies in bios.
Just in case you didn't know the whole procedure and in case it is important to do it just like that:
Clear CMOS, the DFI Street way
1. pull power
2. pull battery
3. clear cmos jumper for minimum of 30-60 seconds
4. replace cmos jumper to normal position
5. replace battery
6. replace power
7. boot to bios and load optimized defaults
8. save and exit
9. boot back to bios and now you can change settings to your liking.

I hope you can enjoy your system soon.

Heh, edited my post, i meant the complete opposite of what i wrote, damn you dyslexia! Thanks for catching that

o.k. trying the official DFI Street clear cmos method.... I'll keep you posted..... good news though.... all of my memory is memtest good at 2-2-2-6 3.2v.... Now if I can just get two sticks in at a time, I can do my memory review like I want to.

No dice..... it isn't a cmos problem.... still get 3 lights and the beeps. Must be a setting or something I'm missing..... or perhaps the #4 orange dimm (closest to the cpu?) is dead?.... dunno.... any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Here's another idea, which I just got aware of.
Set your USB and PS/2 jumpers to 5VSB - When I built my system, I read somewhere about this and I'm using this setting actually.
Good Luck once more!

Lifthanger said:
Here's another idea, which I just got aware of.
Set your USB and PS/2 jumpers to 5VSB - When I built my system, I read somewhere about this and I'm using this setting actually.
Good Luck once more!

thanks... I'll try that too.... can't run my system with two sticks in single channel either..... however it will post.... but hangs at post.

didn't help..... still just beeps and pauses (3 lights) with two sticks in dual mode after switching both of the suggested jumpers...... :(

here's another thread at DFI-Street, that was of help for me :
http://dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5844&highlight=running

Maybe you could start a thread there, too.

edit: I'm sure you already did this, but just to make sure:
1. 1 stick in slot 2, boot and load optimized defaults.
2. save and shut down, insert second stick in slot 4 and power up

This board is so great, but things like this can really kill the fun.

did use mulitple sticks... in fact I tested 8 sticks in memtest just to make sure they were compatible with the board. No problems there...... installed the OS with one stick along with various other software..... flashed the bios using winflash and did the DFI-street cmos method. It's not a memory issue.... it's either something in the bios or it's mb/cpu.... don't know enough about the system to be able to say with any assurance. memory used was 2 sticks BH-5, 6 sticks of UTT and 2 sticks of TCCD. They all test fine in slot 2..... even stuck a single stick in slot 4 to see what would happen..... same old beep and pause...... I really want to get this thing going...

one thing I should mention is that I'm trying to run my memory 1:1 200MHZ.... I've seen people say they can't run memory 1:1 but have to run a divider... i can't understand why that is considering I'm not overclocking anything yet..... any explainations?

you can run 1:1 no problem. get yourself off of 2/18 and flash to 310.

see 3rd post for flash instructions, floppy image, etc.: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6369

plug in all power connectors on the board.

keep optimised defaults saved when you power down (set vdimm to 2.8 and save b4 power down too) and put the 2nd stick in slot 4. (slot 2 for 1 stick, slot 4(next to cpu) for 2nd stick).

after doing so, report back.

then some settings can be suggested.

good luck.

pershoot said:
after doing so, report back.

Did everything you suggested.... flashed to 3/10 and did the DFI-Street cmos... set mem voltage to 2.8 after loading optimised defaults...... same problem, I put 2nd stick in slot 4 long beep, long pause 3 lights...... I'm starting to think it's either a cpu or mb issue....... even tried to run the 2 sticks at 9/10 divider.... no change..... :(

Back