• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i buy a new proc and keep my board or buy a new proc and board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
just sold my p4 2.8(400fsb) chip on evilbay for over $200 :shrug:
so now im wonderin whether i should:
A. buy a 3.2E (478)
B. Sell my current board and..
I. buy a better 1 that OC's (478) and buy the 3.2e
II. buy a 775 combo
III. buy an A64 combo

the current config is the following:
antec aria/300W psu
soyo microATX mobo
2.6C w/antec cooler
1gb corsair pc3700
40GB ide (have a 250gb SATA driver ready to be put in)
6800nu w/silencer
NEC 3520A

what do you do with your PC?

I'd probably go A64 with that case, since the Prescott's run fairly hot and stuffing them into a semi-sff isn't something I would recommend.

Yes, and also since you seem to definately want to overclock, I would definately suggest your main focus be getting a new motherboard.
I am a fan of A64 over prescott (mostly just because of the heat issue), but waiting a month or less to see what Venice has to offer would be a good idea if you're leaning toward A64.

Otherwise, if you want to stick with intel, the 6xx series seem to be the best bet right now:)

Last edited:
If you got a good case with good airflow I would go with the 775 combo. If your case doesn't have great airflow get the AMD. I'm a Intel guy, but the Prescotts run hot as hell.

cornbread said:
If you got a good case with good airflow I would go with the 775 combo. If your case doesn't have great airflow get the AMD. I'm a Intel guy, but the Prescotts run hot as hell.

i hear ya there :santa:

well, ill be running it in this
and i might do some mods if it really helps airflow

the mod im really considering is adding an 80/120mm fan on the side(S) - one side for the video card, blowing air in, the other side for the cpu cooler, sucking hot air out

Back