• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 6200 256mb 8x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FalconBlade

I just recieved a Chaintech Gf 6200 256mb AGP8x card from ZipZoomFly. I am still awaiting the rest of my parts so I can finish building the system. Can anyone offer their experiences with overclocking this particular card? Thanks!

-Bill

:welcome:
The memory will be the major limiting factor. The 6200's come crippled with low quality memory to keep costs down. The GPU itself will likely overclock fairly well if it is cooled adequately. You will want to attempt to unlock the full 6600 feature set if you are able to in order to get the best performance. Good luck.

Well, now the system is built and running. I have unlocked the 4 locked pixel pipes making essentially a Gf 6600. I managed to gain 60mhz out of the gpu/ram on the crappy stock cooler and bare ram modules. The modules get a bit hot to the touch but I have not seen any anomalies or artifacts. My next plan is to mount some good copper ram sinks on the modules with AS Epoxy and drill a hole in the side window to mount an 80mm 42cfm coolermaster fan to blow air over both sides of the card. I may also opt for a 3rd party gpu cooler if I can find one that mounts on a card that has the gpu and memory modules laid at 45degrees. All in all, the card performs rather well and Doom 3 is very playable at 1280x1024 (I average 45fps) but in certain areas it can drop down to the low 20's. What do you guys think?

-FB

Sounds good. Seems like the core should get more though. I got my 6600 to 500 and mem to 610 (stock cooling). The 6200 usually oc's better than 6600. Sounds like a good plan.

Back