• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel 3.4 chip and memory question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkMeister

I am getting a 3.4mhz Intel chip that has 800mhz fsb and I currently have PC2700 memory in my machine. Do I need to buy PC3200 memory with 400fsb or can I still use the 2700 stuff I have? Also, would it make that much of a diff going from 2700 to 3200? Sorry for the dumb question, I just totally forgot :shrug:

Thanks
Dark

Well, I'm a noob to OC'ing too, but from what I understand you'll either need to:

1) Run async and leave your FSB at 200 and your RAM at 168.75 for a 32:27? ratio

2) OC your ram to run sync at 1:1 ratio

3) Buy new DDR400 (PC3200)

Again, I'm new to OC'ing, but I think these are your choices.
Hope this helps. --Lutzy

edit: 3.4 Mhz? I hope that was a typo and was supposed to be 3.4 Ghz or else you're screwed either way :p

LOL yeah that was a bit of a typo :)

I might go ahead and buy 3200 memory. Already have 512 of it sitting here, another 512 shouldn't cost me that much.

Dark

Who makes the memory?
If it's from a good manufacturer OC'ing it might not be that big of a deal (if your BIOS supports it of course) --Lutzy

You'll need to set your ram to run at 166 or 333, depending on what your bios uses for numbers. Or you may see a 6:5 divider in there, which is basically the same as the above figures.

It will help performance for sure, you'd see about a 5-10% difference going from PC2700 to PC3200, in dual channel. Single channel wouldn't be as profound but still worth doing. Intel's architecture loves memory bandwidth.

The mobo I am getting has Dual channel for the memory. The one I have currently is single channel I believe. The memory i have at home here is Mushkin (won in a tournament :)). Was gonna run into the city and pick up another 512 mabye gig stick 3200.

Dark

I was going to say, if you plan on overclocking, you might need more than PC3200, but if the extra stick you have is Mushkin, they usually O/C pretty well, so getting another one to match it might be the best bet.

To answer your original question, PC2700 RAM will work, but you'll have to run the 5:4 ratio at default speed and maybe even have to drop down to the 3:2 ratio if you overclock it much. So, you'll lose a lot of memory bandwidth.

Back