• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The switch from Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpwinters

I just wanted to post a qustion before I take the plunge. I am looking to switch over from W98SE on my AMD 1800+ Folding rig to Mandrake due to the install guide/stickie. I like the GUI's. I don't want to program, I just want to get away from MS. Any suggestions before I start? Is there driver support for Wireless PCI cards? That is my only real concern. Thanks.

If it's just going to fold, why not use Overclockix or Overfoldix? Or were you planning on doing other things with this box too?

There is support for some wireless cards, and there's also hacked-together hijacking of a windows driver to get support for other wireless cards.

I figured I would use it on one of my Folding Rigs to try it out. I would like to eventually get away from MS all together. I wanted to start on one of my spare boxes so if I mess it up, it won't impact my daily life too much.

Mandrake and Fedora are both pretty simple to install and configure without touching the command line. Likewise there easy to use once you have them installed. Either distribution will make a good starting point.

Linux has support for some wireless cards, but only certain ones and those based off of a supported chipset. They are usually made by the card's manufacturers, but sometimes by others. If the card you are trying to use doesn't have a Linux driver, then you can use ndiswrapper. It allows you to use a Windows driver for your card, as Arkaine said, and it usually works at least decently. Overclockix may be good to just start with and mess with your network card to see what you need to do to get it to work. Then after you figure it out, you can do it in Mandrake.

Thanks for all of the input. I bought the D-Link DWL-G510 to put in my spares so I can keep them in an unused room. I will have to check D-Links website for a Linux driver. Thanks again for the input.

I also have the DWL-G510. Last I checked, their website said that there was no Linux driver for it. I am currently using ndiswrapper version 1.0 with the Win XP drivers off of the cd that came with it. It seems to work fine. It has been pretty easy to get working in every fairly recent distro I have used.

ndiswrapper worked very well with an older card I had (Trendware TEW221PC) and not at all with the next 2 cards I had (Trendware 421PC and SMC2835W). In my experience, it either works well or not at all.

As far as distributions go... I am of the opinion that running Mandrake simply to fold on a rig is probably overkill. For a beginner, ok... but I, personally, would stick with Yoper, HD-installed Knoppix/Overclockix or something like Damn Small Linux for a box that's designated only for folding. Mandrake is good for people who've never used Linux or gotten into its guts, though.

Actually it's best to grab the kernel source package for your distro and current kernel you're running, either off the internet or from the distro CD's.

Back