• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSP350-60PN-R1 or FSP300-60PN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rpwinters

I am looking into replacing the POS PSU's in my 2 Folding Rigs. They were just what I had "aquired." The 12V lines on them are 11.71 and 11.68 via Fluke 76 DMM. The only loads would be 1 CDROM, HDD, case fans and CPU. I like the 120mm fan option, it will keep the noise down. I like the Fortron/Sparkle brand, so let me know if there is a better option. Thanks

I'd just get the cheaper 300w one, only difference I see it an extra amp on the 12v,(on the 350) and that isnt going to affect anything I dont think. It is possible though, it really depends on whether you want to spend the extra 10-$12*2.

Fortron/Sparkle all the way. I've got a FSP350-60PN, and it is awesome for the money. It runs my media PC (2GHz celery at 3.2GHz) with true ease. I have seen the FSP300-60PN drive a lot stiffer loads than you propose, so I doubt there is really any reason you would need to opt for the 350. Surely the 120mm fan makes these some of the nicest power supplies made, and the clear winner in the low-bucks department.

BTW-I've got a friend that has a P4-3.0c on an 865 board with 1GB of ram, a Ti4200 video card, 2x80GB HGST 7k250s, two old IDE drives, DVD burner and various small stuff all running happily of his Sparkle 250. It is only rated at 13a on the 12V line, but has no trouble at all with his 12V-centric load. In light of this it's hard to imagine your folding rigs exceeding the load driving capacity of the (vastly improved) FSP300-60PN.

Thanks for all the input. I thought that the 300W would be sufficient especially with the FSP/SPI built in "under-rated" listing. I love my 530, but that is overkill for my spare boxes. Now to find it on sale.

schismspeak said:
well it's 30 bucks a newegg, dont know if you will find it any cheaper or not elsewhere, but you might.

The Fortron HiQ models are cheaper than the identical Sparkles @ the egg for some reason.

The HiQ models aren't up to snuff. That is one of the PSU's I'm replaceing. They are lighter weight and I think that they use lower grade materials to have a "true budget" line. The HiQ I have is definately not adjustable and is at 11.71V with minimal load, measured with a DMM.
I did order two of the FSP300-60PN from newegg. These should handle the Folding rigs quite nicely.

The supplies sold as Hi-Q models are the equivalent of the low-end Fortrons from 5 years ago. The precursor to the FSP300-PN was the FSP300-BN, and there was a low end alternative called the 300GT. The 300GT is what is now sold as Hi-Q, and was never enough cheaper than the real-deal models to merit me using it, even for system use that didn't appear to phase the 300GT. Average system use these days entails a lot more power consumption, and appears to outsrip the former 300GT's envelope to an obvious degree.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a quick update. The FSP300's are running perfect and quiet. They came in a nice blue finish. Matches the Chieftec Dragon to a T. Voltages are right on target. Didn't open up to see if they were adjustable. I doubt they are, but they don't seem to need it.

Back