• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L2 Cache Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceage

I have a Socket 478 3.2E w/ the 1MB L2 cache. I was curious to know what the performance difference is between the 1MB L2 cache on the 478's and the 2MB L2 cache on the Prescott 550's and 640's.

Thanks!!

I think it is quite a bit because of the E E cpu. It had only 512K of l2, but 2MB of l3.

I've heard mixed things.

Some benchmarks show that there isn't a big difference between the 1mb L2 cache or the 2mb L2 cache.

Still, I like to know I've got a bit more on-die memory... It's so much faster compared to regular system memory :)

478's and the 2MB L2 cache on the Prescott 550's and 640's.
You can't compare these three based on L2 cache alone. They are different internal architectures. Basically the 550s blow the doors off the 478s and the 6xx improve on that some more. Use the search button above. There have been several comparisons posted.

Lancelot said:
If you're Folding or running BOINC/Seti that 2MB L2 will give it a nice boost...

Since the last time it was adressed, Folding does not benefit much from more memory performance or larger L2 cache. That could have changed with the introduction of different cores, but back in the day of tinker and gromac cores, more L2 did not benefit the project that much.

I do know however, that SETI does benefit.

Back