• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insanity check! eVGA 512mb 6800 Ultra PCI-E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thats how most of the 6800Us are... all the ones i see are about the length of the mobo...

btw:

Welcome to the Overclockers Forums

yea looks like the same length. don't imagine the extra memory size will give any real results, other then i price spike.

It's very cool. But I'm not sure if that will provide any gaming performance. Any games out there good need 1024mb of vid memory??????

SolidxSnake said:
in the future:

128:256::256:512
256:512::512:1024
:D

I don't get it?

The only reason for these cards is competition between ATI and nVidia. Are there any good benchies for this to prove how little a difference it makes?

I thought the video memory on PCI-E was added together. I thought if you had dual 128mb cards you would still only have 128mbs of video memory? I guess I am wrong.

Westline said:
I thought the video memory on PCI-E was added together. I thought if you had dual 128mb cards you would still only have 128mbs of video memory? I guess I am wrong.

I think what your thinking of is that only 128MB of two 6600GT cards for example is available for each core. One core can't 'borrow' memory from the other card.

i mean by

128:256::256:512...

like, in the future, 256MB will be like 128MB now(a standard), and 512 will be a little more than you need...

Want to see a big graphics card?

wide_01.jpg

Asus really plans to sell this one btw. It's not just a sick prototype.

512MB will only be useful when playing at resolutions in excess of 1600x1200 with all the goodies turned up. Aside from that, most players won't appreciate much of a benefit until the next generation of games starts coming out towards the end of the year... :rolleyes:

would 512 allow you to put that extra eye candy on. like 8X AA and 16X AF. i mean with my card i can only run cs:s at 1280x900 with 2xaa and 2xaf anything higher just starts to give me low fps. would the 512 allow me to put it to 8x and 16x and not see a performance hit?

SolidxSnake said:
yep, sure would =P

still overkill right now, 256 is overkill

Nah, 256 is just right at the moment allows more amount of textures to be stored for higher resoultions i Think Doom 3 is the game which can actully make a 256mb 6800ULTRA/X850XTPE weep at 1600*1200 :eh?:

jtracc20 said:
would 512 allow you to put that extra eye candy on. like 8X AA and 16X AF. i mean with my card i can only run cs:s at 1280x900 with 2xaa and 2xaf anything higher just starts to give me low fps. would the 512 allow me to put it to 8x and 16x and not see a performance hit?

Wont help with the memory they are using right now. Maby with a better memory controller and such. The best driver would likly help more.What do you consider lowFPS. Are your FPS low in HL2 also?

there are really no realworld benefits to 512, games now barely saturate the 256mb for the graphics card, the main benefit of that though are for those graphic designers, and for a work comp, but then again the world seems to unfold itself slowly soon enough we will be looking at a 1gb single card mem with gddr5 or something so we will see right .....

mustrum said:
Want to see a big graphics card?

wide_01.jpg

Asus really plans to sell this one btw. It's not just a sick prototype.

This is 2 x eVGA 6800U 256mb video cards built into ONE :cool:

Could this be a SLI card all rolled in one? :shrug:

There is an advantage here, prices will drop on other cards :)

That Asus is an insanely big card. In case anyone missed it, Asus isn't the only one trying for dual core graphics cards. See here, scroll down for pics and performance estimate

Back