• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop CPU Socket without lever

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
These CPU sockets don't have levers on them!

There is writing that says "lock ->" I tried moving it the opposite way of the arrows to unlock it, but nothing. I can't seem to make it move no matter what I do.

I need to take the CPU out, but it isn't coming out!

Thanks for the help on my stupid question. :)

there is a straight head screw, somwhere in the middle of the socket, if you look at the the crew there there is unlock and lock position

Anyways that the way itis on my laptop

Thanks, but that's only on newer ones. This is a K6-2 laptop. I've also seen it like this on a socket A, mid end XP system. It's weird, I don't see any moving parts on it, but if it went in, it has to come out!

Going to open my Presario 900 soon too, and I hope it's not like these if I can't get the CPU out!

if you look there should be little things where you can fit the head of a flat screwdriver on each side. if you stik one in there and use it to push the cpu to the other ide (unloked) its inda scary how hard you have t push but thats how my socket A on my compaq was.

Yes, exactly how it is done. I asked this question on a laptop forum and that's what they came up with too.

I couldn't see the slot too well because I hadn't taken off the monitor. It's amazing, you have to use a screwdriver and push the CPU away from the socket, and then you'll be able to pull it out.

I would much rather just use a lever. lol

my laptop has a very tiny screw in the corrner of the scocket.... righty tighty lefty loosey.... if you have a screw PLEASE PLEASE BE CAREFUL NOT TO STRIP IT!!!

ps2cho said:
my socket has a lever....only newer laptops have the levers?

Not sure, the newest laptop I've ever had was an Athlon XP 1800 based one, and that didn't have a lever. So far I've only had AMD based laptops, and they are all like that. I think the Intel based ones have screws or levers.

I'd rather have a lever than a screw, and ANYTHING over these ones that you have to use a screwdriver to physically push it. When installing the AXP 1500+ into my Presario 700 tonight I dented it a bit with the screwdriver. I didn't really have a choice though. Hope it works. :/

Back