• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

smoking p4p800-e deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archmage164

Registered
so i bought a new psu ( a 550w aspire psu) and a new p4p800-e deluxe. i plugged everything in and when i hit thw power button smoke started coming from the mainboard. what could cause this?

So you had your system setup before you bought that psu. System was working with the old PSU, and when change psu it fried board

a. You could have damaged something to the board, when installing, that casued it to fry
b. It meant to be
c. New power supply caused board to fry

Hello, new to the board, but have been lurking for quite sometime.

I just bought a p4pe deluxe, so i was looking around and see what kind of problems I could run into, and well, this is the 4th person to say their p4p is fried for no apparent reason. Could it be a small product defect with the ICH5R? Anyways, hope somebody can look into this, sorry to hear about your board dude, but I know Asus can replace it usually. Dpends on what part fried im sure...but get on getting ahold of them, heard it was a pain.

_D

aptd said:
Hello, new to the board, but have been lurking for quite sometime.

I just bought a p4pe deluxe, so i was looking around and see what kind of problems I could run into, and well, this is the 4th person to say their p4p is fried for no apparent reason. Could it be a small product defect with the ICH5R? Anyways, hope somebody can look into this, sorry to hear about your board dude, but I know Asus can replace it usually. Dpends on what part fried im sure...but get on getting ahold of them, heard it was a pain.

_D
it came in the mail wednesday, from newegg. i shipped it back friday. getting a hold of them wasn't bad at all. idk what caused it but i lost 3 boards in 3 weeks. 2 of them are at asus rma right now being repaired

meionm said:
was that board from newegg rma or was that new board from newegg
i rma'd my p4s800d-e deluxe to asus, but they would take forever so i went ahead and bought a brand new board from newegg (the p4p800-e deluxe) and psu and when i powered it on smoke starting coming out of the mainboard. near the memory, but not the memoy sockets

do you guys think that it could be like my processor or memory that caused it, neither were where the smoke was coming from, but i wanna know what is killing my boards. this is rediculous

aye,
are your standoffs proper?
i love my P4P800-deluxe. i consider it to be "not delicate" after the stuff ive put it through...
double check the standoffs.
Good Luck.

orionlion82 said:
aye,
are your standoffs proper?
i love my P4P800-deluxe. i consider it to be "not delicate" after the stuff ive put it through...
double check the standoffs.
Good Luck.

forgive me for being stupid but are the stand offs the knobs that i screwed into my removeable mobo tray that my mobo gets screwed into. i just filled every hole. regardless of if i used them or not. is it possible i killed 3 boards this way?

definatly your problem! you should be using only the standoffs that line up with the holes in the mobo. any extra ones you have fitted may short something on the board.

I have fried 3 of these board since November. One was my fault directly the others just blu up during normal operations. I do overclock and cool with pelts. Did Vmod and added heat sinks. so RMA was not an option. Just think they could be a little more durable. I wont buy another one, moving to ABIT.

Wstinkbait said:
I have fried 3 of these board since November. One was my fault directly the others just blu up during normal operations. I do overclock and cool with pelts. Did Vmod and added heat sinks. so RMA was not an option. Just think they could be a little more durable. I wont buy another one, moving to ABIT.

Interesting you fried 3 board and you are cooling with pelts, I would do some research about condensation before jumping to conclusion

Definately a bummer about your fried boards.

Make sure your standoffs are only installed where you have holes in your motherboard.

Wstinkbait I would definately do some more research on your methods from my experience Abit boards have more general bugs then Asus does. I had an Abit IC-7 and one of the old Dual P3 that I had to actually resolder new caps on because Abit knew they used horrid ones in the first place.

ok i will fix the stand offs when i get the first board i rma'd, which should be like this time next week. hopefully sooner. the stand offs dont give me that much clearence when i add the mount for the big water cooling system, should i insulate that incase it touches my mobo tray?

I would put a pad on the tray underneath the mounts for the water cooling bracket if it is close to touching it. Just a big square of something sticky and plastic would work so you don't conduct anything through there or transfer heat anywhere.

Wstinkbait I would definately do some more research on your methods from my experience Abit boards have more general bugs then Asus does. I had an Abit IC-7 and one of the old Dual P3 that I had to actually resolder new caps on because Abit knew they used horrid ones in the first place.

The first board I put a bead of conformal coating around the agp, and pci sockets and it never booted again. It must have wicked up into the pins or something. So I used the fets and caps on it to do the "add fets and caps to empty pads mod" to a new board. This one lasted about an hour the went dead. The last board worked for weeks and was overclocking well with only the droop mod and during a normal backup operation just went dead.

Now the Interesting thing was on the first two boards the bios went through the post, The led's on the Corsair XMS flashed indicating Memory activity and the drive leds flashed during detection. The CPU was always good. But this last time, everything is dead, no memory or drive activity. The voltages are all good and the green led is on.

I'm thinking maybe my CPU is gone this time. And the MB may still be good. Its a 3.2 Northwood that has been overclocked and frozen for two years. So I have ordered a 3.4 Prescott and a IC7-G to try to duplicate the experiment that oRIDDLERo did in this post How to Build a Dual Prime Stable 3.2 DO @ 4.0+ GHz Guaranteed …Many PIX

Back