Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

Exercising

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 03-19-05, 12:21 AM Thread Starter   #1
shard

Exercising

well i just got a membership to Gold's Gym, becuase i have no weights or anything like the equipment at home

but i realy am unshure what i should do exersise wise, right now this is what i do

Cardio for about 20min, then do about 30min of weight training, on the cybex machines for now while i build up some good muscle tension and stuff. and then do another 5 min of cardio cooldown

now i realy have no clue if i am doing it right, and i also dont know much about what reps i should do with each lifting method, and how many sets i should do

also what is a realy good diet for fast weightloss, and decent muscle building?

thanks guys

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 12:49 AM   #2
Cerberus2k7
Drifto Mexicano

www.bodybuilding.com is a good place to start as for a workout plan. Lets you try out different things. Im still trying to find my sweet spot with lifting.

Member of OCdriftingNinjas | You gotta' Fold if you wanna turn up the Heat
Overclocking: My Anti-Drug. | Overclocking my body...one day at a time... | Black Belt Ubercloxx0r | You are the most ripped yo-yo'er I have ever seen. - Seven
HTPC | i5 2500k@3.8 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 16GB HyperX | GTX 460 1gb@845/1100 | 1.5TB | Silverstone LC10S-M | Corsair 500w
Cerberus2k7 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 01:12 AM   #3
deRusett

Really good diet for Fast weight loss and Muscle building

Eat higher Protein foods,
Lean Fats
Small portion carbs

Burn More Calories then you take in.

there are no Miracle diets,

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 01:23 AM Thread Starter   #4
shard

well i definatly know there are no miracle diets, but i just dont know where to start

i quit soda, good thing i did, i feel much better
i am always on the run, with having to be at work at odd effing hours, so its rather hard for me to keep an eye on my calorie intake, and the amount i need to take is kinda funky, for my body weight, wich i find hilarious, is 360lbs, i sure dont look that fat! and i am pretty damn agile for a jumbo jet. lol

but am i doing enough cardio? its pretty strenous, mostly just the powerbike for now, until i build up more endurance, and then maybe some other stuff

and anybody know much about the Cybex machines? i mean, i dont think i am ready for freeweights yet, my muscle tone doesnt seem good enough to trust free weights. but yet again, i just started and dont know very much

and what are some good examples of good high protein foods, and other good stuff to eat? i realy dont eat much crap in the first place, most of my weight is from laziness, and lack of activity wich i am fixing right now for sure

and back to the reps, and sets, what should i start with? right now i do 3 sets of 8reps on my biceps, triceps, and deltoids(?) and then 4 sets of 15 reps on my legs, and 200 situps a day, and 2 sets of 50 reps on my back, and then some of those side to side thingies, i cant remember the name of them, i do about 2 sets of 30reps, on each side

so how does that sound?

Gigabyte Z77-D3H
G. Skill DD3 1600 8gb
EVGA 670 GTX | Asus VE248H 24" Widescreen LCD
Corsair 750TX 750w PSU
shard is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 04:15 AM   #5
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

,`, Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part ,`,
,`, The trouble with life is theres no background music ,`,
,`, Life isnt short, you're just dead for too long,`,

Mr.Guvernment is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 04:47 AM   #6
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard
well i just got a membership to Gold's Gym, becuase i have no weights or anything like the equipment at home

but i realy am unshure what i should do exersise wise, right now this is what i do

Cardio for about 20min, then do about 30min of weight training, on the cybex machines for now while i build up some good muscle tension and stuff. and then do another 5 min of cardio cooldown

now i realy have no clue if i am doing it right, and i also dont know much about what reps i should do with each lifting method, and how many sets i should do

also what is a realy good diet for fast weightloss, and decent muscle building?

thanks guys

Don't worry, we were all like that at one point. When I started hitting the weights last year, I wasn't as small as some people, but I was still nervous. I rememeber the fact that I was doing everything on machines because I was too scared to do the free weights. Eventually, you'll learn more and more (such as the fact that free weights > machines in most cases), and you'll eventually be comfortable in the gym.

There has been some good suggestions here. Be sure to google "Max-OT". The Max-OT program is great for semi-beginners. It assumes you're familiar with free weights (like how to squat, how to bench), but not much other than that.

Yesterday I had my back workout, and I was doing body weight (170 lbs) + 62.5 lbs weighted wide-grip pullups, and one of the biggest guys in the gym tells me that that's impressive. Of course, I never told him that, only 5 months ago, I struggled to do 15 pullups without any weight at all!

Just stick to it, and the gym will feel like a second home.
Frodo Baggins is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 06:06 AM   #7
threeme2189

(i can do about 17-20 pullups as of now...maybe il start working on it.)

Crappy 80 Gig HDD :: Sony CD Burner/dvd drive + CD drive

If You'll Excuse Me, I Have A Beam Of Light To Catch.
threeme2189 is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 03:40 PM   #8
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

alot of people in Gyms are very nice and supprotive - everyone was a bigginer at some point - of course u do have your arrogant people who think they are gods - but they will ignore u and u should ignore them.

Just go in and make an effort - alot of people will start to recognize u and liekly note your changes and compliment you as you go.

I will soon be in this same boat, just had an abdominal herni (2 actually) fix and now i got to wait 5 weeks, but the one side may not be fixed so i may have to go under the knife again and wait even longer

Old 03-19-05, 03:46 PM   #9
BRIMCV

I just started going back to the gym i usually do 20mins running warm up then rowing machine for 10mins then i work on the resistance machines do a set each on a few of them then when finished its essential to do a cool down it helps the body to recover.

One thing i have found is an amazing work out Muay Thai which is kicking, punching kneeing its the greatest work out ive done highly reccomend it to anyone

SAPPHIRE 4850
500GB Seagate Barracude
320GB Seagate Barracuda 16MB Cache
Viewing on 20.1" Belinea LCD
ANTEC 1000AMG :clap:

The edge there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know were it is are the ones who have gone over. Hunter S Thompson
BRIMCV is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 03:53 PM   #10
NewbiePerson

It sounds like you have a pretty solid workout program going. Just give it a month and I'll bet you'll see a world of difference. When you do lift weight remember its going down that actually tears the muscle. So take things slow and focus on your breathing too.
NewbiePerson is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 04:42 PM   #11
Mr. Chambers

10 Year Badge

Not to thread jack, but it seemed like a good place to ask...

What do you do if you want to gain ANY kind of weight.. obviously I'd prefer muscle, but at this point I'd take anything. I'm 6'1" 130lbs, and I've never been able to gain any weight. Doctor says my metabolism is just off the charts.

Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Corsair HX750 750w
OCZ Agility 2 120GB SSD
Cooler Master CM 690 II
Logitech G710+ & G9x
Dell U2713HM
Mr. Chambers is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 10:02 PM   #12
deRusett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chambers

What do you do if you want to gain ANY kind of weight.. obviously I'd prefer muscle, but at this point I'd take anything. I'm 6'1" 130lbs, and I've never been able to gain any weight. Doctor says my metabolism is just off the charts.

I had the "Problem" of not being able to break 120, I was hitting they gym eating crazy amounts of food, couldn't break it

What I did to break 120 was STOP working out completely, I took to going out for a month, hitting the Bars, drinking beer, Eating lots of "junk" at the end of the month I had gone to 125, I went back to the hard work outs and training and was able to make it to 135 being fit, and lean again, I just had to get sloth like to break my peak,

you can try this if you like, worked for me, my new peak seems to be 145, but I'm only 5'5 so I am happy staying here

At age 17 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 20 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 35 .... success is .... having money.
At age 50 .... success is .... having money.
At age 60 .... success is .... having sex.
At age 70 .... success is .... having a driving licence.
At age 75 .... success is .... having friends.
At age 80 .... success is .... not peeing in your pants
At Any Age ... success is ... Folding for Team 32
deRusett is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-19-05, 10:32 PM   #13
samuraisam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Guvernment
Wow, that's a huge forum.

-Sam
samuraisam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-20-05, 12:02 AM   #14
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

what ever u do , do NOT warm up too much - it was shown (www.ironmagzine.com) that warming up can decrease your performance by upto %30!!

so if you are trying to gain muscle mass, do not warm up for long before u bench alot o weight, otherwise u are basically lifting only %30 of what u could and not realyl working your muscles.

i used to have an off the chart matabolizm, till i got a computer job i went frm being 6'4 about 140lbs to 200lbs in 1 year - i am now @ 210-220 range and stay there, but once recovered from operation will be workin out and i know i will get to 200lbs easy then gain back muscle mass and try to get around 220lbs lean.

Old 03-20-05, 11:03 AM   #15
Mr. Chambers

10 Year Badge

I highly doubt my lack of weight is due to too much exercise! I sometimes get winded walking 3 flights of stairs...

I eat quite a bit, although I'm sure it doesn't consist of the "proper" things and amounts.

Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Corsair HX750 750w
OCZ Agility 2 120GB SSD
Cooler Master CM 690 II
Logitech G710+ & G9x
Dell U2713HM
Old 03-20-05, 02:18 PM   #16
mista ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shard
thanks guys
if you want to put some mass on fast try sets/reps like this works great for me, its also arnolds set up

1 set\8reps
2nd set\6 reps --> start light then go hevy add more weights as you go from set to set
3rd set\3 reps

if you want to lose weight fast/get ripped try sets/reps like this

1 set\8 reps
2nd set\ 10 reps --> start hevy then decrease weights as you go from set to set
3rd set\ 12 reps

Q6600 G0 @ 3.4GHz @ 1.356v
Asus P45 P5Q-Pro 1406 BIOS
G-SKILL 4GB DDR2 @ 5-5-5-15 @ 756MHz
HIS HD 4850 512MB @ 700MHz / 1200MHz
1.28TB (2 x WD AALS 640GB) Hard Drives
Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W
Antec 300 Black ATX Case
mista ting is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-21-05, 12:26 AM   #17
ryuen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chambers

wow 6'1" and 130lbs. i thought my bro was light being 6'2" and 150. maybe just me. i know a lot of small people that try to break weight limits too. i dont know how old you are but i asked dad's friend and he said when guys are young they cant eat a buncha crap and never gain weight. after they hit 25 years old everything they eat goes to da belly. i dont know if anyone else can support that because im not 25 yet

Old 03-21-05, 04:16 AM   #18
theMonster
Disabled

Doing weights and cardio together cancels the benefits of each other out. Wait 6-8 hours between doing weights and cardio. That's what the gurus are saying now. They may change their mind again in 10 years.
theMonster is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-21-05, 12:58 PM   #19
Mr. Chambers

10 Year Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuen
wow 6'1" and 130lbs. i thought my bro was light being 6'2" and 150. maybe just me. i know a lot of small people that try to break weight limits too. i dont know how old you are but i asked dad's friend and he said when guys are young they cant eat a buncha crap and never gain weight. after they hit 25 years old everything they eat goes to da belly. i dont know if anyone else can support that because im not 25 yet
I'm 20. I'm not "small" I'm just horizontally challenged

Sapphire HD 7970 OC
Corsair HX750 750w
OCZ Agility 2 120GB SSD
Cooler Master CM 690 II
Logitech G710+ & G9x
Dell U2713HM
Old 03-21-05, 03:53 PM   #20
Mr.Guvernment

10 Year Badge

if u want muscle mass do short heavy lifting - if u want tone - do many reps with little resistance.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.