• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Raid Array.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
(I don't remmember exactly where it is in bios, it should be were you enable sound, lan)Enable Promise controller to work in raid mod, plug hard drive to sata 3 and 4, After first post there is another that displays hard drives only and gives option to get in to build aray, combination of keys it will display what combination. Then you get in building aray window, it's easy from there

Later in boot options in bios if you are booting from aray that should be selected

Well, I did exactly what you told me, and I get this error:
IMG_0378.jpg

This is what the boot order looks like:
IMG_0380.jpg

Any ideas? I just get that constant error. Both drives are plugged into Sata Raid 1 / Raid 2 or aka sata 3 / 4. I setup the array and I constantly get that boot device error, any ideas?

Last edited:
I get the same thing with the p4p 800 e deluxe duno why.

But if i hit ctrl alt delete and wait the pc boots up again and runs fine.

I got that error once when I had a drive that caused extremely long delays during the BIOS auto-detection function and the IDE detection timeout delay was set to a value less than 35 seconds. I tried another old drive I had and the problems went away. Get rid of thr RAID array and try each drive separately to see if both r ok when not in RAID. Also try different sata cables.

I would set the RAID 0 array on the Intel ICH5R because it does not run on the PCI bus and can reduce overhead.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but did you install the Promise and Intel ICH5R drivers by hitting F2 when first installing windows? There are 4 SATA connectors on that mobo. Make sure you are using the correct pair for the specific controller.

Last edited:
First off what raid are you going to create? Raid 0 or 1?

To use raid 0 you really should use 2 identicle size HD's
To use raid 1 with 2 different size HD's you will be limited to the smaller of the 2 drives for space so they can be mirrored.

So if creating raid 0 with identicle HD's I would use the intell ich5r on that board.

If creating raid 1 you will have to use the promise raid controller since you can only create raid 0 if using the intell ich5r on that board.

Hard drive conections TO SATA RAID 1/2 for Promise on MB
Hard drive conections TO SATA 1/2 FOR Intel on MB

Make sure you have made the drivers disk for which one you are going to choose, you can find the drivers on your MB disk.

In the bios for the intell controller go to IDE configuration and make sure these are set to:
Onboard IDE operate mode= enhanced mode
Enhanced mode support on = S-ATA
Configure S-ATA as raid = yes
Serial ATA bootrom = enabled

Save changes and then on boot up (hit ctrl-I) to enter the intell raid set up.

To use the promise raid controller the settings in the bios I believe are the same except for the Serial ATA bootrom which I can't remember if this gets set to enable or dsiable for the Promise.(I think it may be set to disable for the Promise because ATA Bootrom must be enabled for the intell)

Save changes and on reboot hit Ctrl-F to enter promise fast track set up.

You will still have to re format your HD's after you set up you raid array.
Thats about all I can remember off the top of my head, :bang head , if you have the manual for your board it explains alot on how to set up each raid array once you are in the set up program in the back of the manual.

Hope this helps you out with setting up your raid...GOOD LUCK

Thanks for you help .. but I still keep getting that error .. but I didn't install any drivers b4 I put Windows on the drive... thats prob why.

After you create your raid array you have to reboot with the windows cd in and format and re install windows but make sure you look at bottom of screen when windows is getting ready to install and hit the right windows f key to load your raid drivers which you should have made on a floppy already.

Back