• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fried BIOS causing nothing to work?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pheaton

I've got an old Asus P2B-F mobo that I know has a fried BIOS chip. However, I thought that if you plugged in the cpu fan, and put the cpu into the socket, the cpu fan would at least spin up even if the BIOS was fried. However, thats not happening when I try it.

When I press the power switch, the PSU fan spins up, and the power LED comes on, but the cpu fan doesnt start and I hear no been codes from the speaker.

Am I right to assume that this would be caused by a fried BIOS chip, or is the mobo fried as well?

This isnt a very critical system for me, just something Im playing around with, but I'd like to get it to work.

Any ideas?

Thats what a mobo with a fried BIOS will do. It will appear normal but it will not post. What type of BIOS does it have? AMI or Award Pheonix? If it has the same type of BIOS that your other PC has you can hotflash the dead chip back to life by using your PC to reflash the dead chip

Back