• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

10$ rig for folding, needs help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

Get this!
for $10 today i bought an HP pavilion.4455 - 400MHZ celeron 64MB ram. no harddrive.

the planets aligned, and i got the thing to take a LiveCD of linux called Dyne:Bolic

its actually lots of fun after the first 30 minuets.

BUUUT:

the USB is not working. not sure its hardware, but im ready to blame linux.

the Ethernet card/connection is not working - plugged in the cable modem - nothing. ready to blame linux here too..

i REALLY REALLY want to find that rumored linux folding liveCD , but i really really am incapable of doing the whole ISO burn thing. do you need special software or hardware? its never worked for me, but others speak of it as a bag of chips.
i mean music and files copy+paste+burn fine, but ive allways been defeated with burning linux...something to do with windows not liking the ISO extension?
anyways, any help with this mess will be REALLY REALLY appreciated.
thanks.

:cool:

Alcohol120%
Good program for ISO's.
You can extract the ISO then burn it onto a disc and see how that works.

ill take that as a google. i dont mind google pointers. thanks.

Edit: http://www.google.com/search?q=Alco...ient=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
Sketchy!!!, this looks kinda like Sketchware to me, i dunno about that. it just looks so - Unwholesome....
Edit: and for what its worth, ill pass... have a look - http://www.auditmypc.com/process/alcohol120-install.asp
and before you fire back with this : http://cd-burning-software-review.toptenreviews.com/alcohol-review.html
i would trust neither site for their info.
just seems if it were legit, there would be solid word of it somehwere.

so the question remains - do i need special software for an ISO extension?

Last edited:
Most cd burning software such as Nero, Easy CD Creator, Alcohol etc. can all burn iso's. As for Alcohol 120% being unwholesome, I've always found it to be the best solution when making CD images or backing up CDs.

I use acohol 120% and love it.. I also have nero 6 ultra for burning cd's but anything to do with image files i use acohol as it just works much better... but thats just my opinion

that folding Linux on LiveCD.... made by our Very own Arkaine.... OVERFOLDIX!!!! its nice, runs well on most machines (except my nforce2 mobo... for some reason, linux hates my mobo)..... and has a built in folding client. All you have to do is change the user name in the config if you don't want to fold under the name that arkaine folds under

TollhouseFrank said:
that folding Linux on LiveCD.... made by our Very own Arkaine.... OVERFOLDIX!!!! its nice, runs well on most machines (except my nforce2 mobo... for some reason, linux hates my mobo)..... and has a built in folding client. All you have to do is change the user name in the config if you don't want to fold under the name that arkaine folds under

Linky for the lazy:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofdx/

Wonderfull!!!
a quick google ( alchohol 120) brought up lots of things that kinda looked a little... well, maybe its just me....

but anyways- i might try a few of the ISO programs, another friend told me windows does not do ISO burning native, and couldnt believe i diddnt have a burn program. so thats first things first...might as well go shields up and try the alchohol out first if it is as good as it is said.

YES overfoldix!!! exactly what i was looking for... couldnt remember the name to save my life but i knew i had run across it somewhere around here (yeah, arkaines sig - duuuhhhh) ... i cearched for "folding live cd" and diddnt get any good leads,lol...saying i get the ISO taken care of and overfoldix burnt to a disk,

ive still got to work out the ethernet for my cable modem, or alternatively get the USB going so i can transfer completed work over on my smartmedia USB.( not a pendrive) i think it can be done...

or maybe i can do the 28.8/56.6 modem thing - and get one of those free ISP's that just gives lots of spyware and adware- not like i have a disk to worry about or an operating system that could be damaged...but then again, not sure those types bother with coding for linux. ill look into it. probably most sucessful with tel modem...
okay, ive got a good start!

Last edited:
Ill Give A120 a try first.
To Clarify: when i first googled it i got a bunch of L337 H4xor garbage and cr/ack/ing pages.
the offical website looks proper.
D/L now. will work onother issues later.

Back