• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XTTX

Is it safe to overclock a laptop. Considering the fact that it would be hard to reset the CMOS.

as long as your processor isn't like allready 70c+ I would say it is safe to try...

remember to take baby steps and prime...

skab said:
If you use something like SETFSB or CLOCKGEN then your settings can be returned to normal when you restart your laptop.
But if your laptop isn't able to turn on, then that would be a problem correct? (Due to not posting)

35.jpg

:)

When you hear fuzzing of sound and a blue screen of death...you know ur done :D

EDIT: To answer the question above, yes after a reboot it boots up at stock, its not set in :D thank god....iv had a few blue screens of death ahah

as long as your processor isn't like allready 70c+ I would say it is safe to try...

Hi, I'd say the answer is a bit more complex than that... some additional things you can do :

1. Check your processor thermal specs and verify *how* you are measuring temps. For instance, Pentium-M's have the thermal critical point at around 89ºC (for throttling) and switch off at around 93ºC, being rock solid normally up to this high temps.... as long as you measure with the real internal thermistor thing. P4s on the other hand do not seem like being so much 'heat resistant' and throttle down before than that.

2. Check your *current* temps. You have to assume they are safe as per manufacturer design (I know, there are exceptions,... but generally), so if you can overclock an make sure your temps are no higher than that then you are in any case *improving* your temps and reducing the risk. To achieve this you can go two ways :
a) Improve your processor thermal dissipation by using a better HS/Fan through modding, or by using a better Thermal Interface material (ASII,..)
b) Decrease voltage to your processor (also do not forget to prime). You can do this to most mobile CPUs with Rightmark CPU clock utility... but beware.. if you're later overclocking you *may* have to go up voltage also,... so it's in fact a matter of finding the right combination of speed/voltage.

laptops always run hot so why would you wanna push it even more?

by all means , overcloacking is good. I overclock too but only my desktops.

Back