• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is anyone else getting fed up with SETI downtime?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

telexen

During the last major downtime a short while ago I had my system down to install my new watercooling setup...I had over 20 WUs waiting to upload that never got sent in, because by the time I got the system back up they had expired.

I used to be into SETI classic hardcore...I quit shortly after I earned 5000 WUs though because I was tired of trying to keep that many systems up, and power them (and sleep with the noise :D)

I haven't been crunching with BOINC for long (you'll notice I'm way down the list on the stats)...but right now with the 7 WUs I have that are done and I can't upload I'm debating on whether I should even bother with this anymore. I don't want to be addicted to SETI again, which is why I only crunch with my main system...it basically just gives me an excuse to keep it overclocked.

Is anyone else abandoning SETI?

p.s.

I won't fold =p

nope im not going to abandon seti because the reason being i like to keep my comps busy instead of them being lazy like me lol :)

Last edited:
I agree with Steven, I see no point in having overclocked CPU while it is sitting idle most of the time, if seti doesnt have WUs for me Ill crunch another project until they are back up. Doesnt bother me too much, atleast I know im helping overclockers BOINC team :)

I agree it is very frustrating - however I dont understand really why everyone gets up in arms over this stuff. I'm attached to two BOINC projects, if one project goes down - the other project starts crunching. In addition my queues are set to 6 days - none of my machines are idle and all are days away from running out. And if they do - so what? The machines will switch to their backup projects automatically.

Am I fed up with seti downtime? You bet. Am I going to let that stop me from contributing to a project I think is valuable when it 'is' up? Not a chance.

If anyone is running only one boinc project (ANY project, seti, einstein, whatever) with no sizable work unit queue - you are basically asking for your computers to be idle, period :) (For the record, if you need some help figuring out how to get multiple projects and your queues setup, feel free to PM me and I'll do everything I can to help).

Sure some people have made the decision that if a project is going to have downtime they will leave - that is their call of course. But the BOINC platform is MADE to be a multi-project platform just for this reason.

All just my humble opinion - hope my perspective helps you in your decision telexen - good luck with whatever you choose.

Enk

:( We are losing everyone.... Not going to be #9 for long... I agree with Enkidu, I have only run out of seti wu on one computer once over this whole set of outages. I just have a huge queue set and climate prediction as a secondary if seti does go down long enough.

i'm still on boinc, but due to the outages and crap, i moved over to predictor.

its nice having a WU finish in 39 minutes. and i'm still contributin to the overall boinc team here. so i'm fine with it.

i may join back with seti, once they get all this stuff fixed. but i don't 100% blame berkley. seti gets more of a server load than all the other projects combined. with that much of a load, things are bound to happen.

i may switch back to seti one day. also depends how high up in the predictor team i can climb. i'm in 10th place there ( out of a whole 20, heh ) and i'm working my way up.

but it sucks, i'm losing my spots in seti from not crunching...luckely i have to 2 friends crunching on seti for me ( under my name ) so they are keeping me up there still. but if i was back in on seti, i'd be alot higher than where i'm at now.

The only stats I check for where I'm at is the BOINC totals.

Also once they throw the switch and close classic, I think a lot of people are going to be angry with the work shortages. BOINC will not do as classic did, there will be no crunching of the same work units over and over again just to keep people happy. Only what needs to be done will be done.

So I'll say it again,

ATTACH TO AT LEAST 2 PROJECTS PEOPLE!!!

Did they fix Predictor not granting credit for work done? If it's been fixed, I'll put the xeon to work there until seti comes back online...

Frankly I don't pay any attention to it. I look at my machines maybe once a week. If idle time bothers you that much just attach to two or more projects.

Unfortunately over the weekend Predictor is updating their website(I was surprised there working on the weekend), they planned on being back up Monday.

Why dump the project later though?

Just go to the account preferences and set its resource share to 5%. The day will come when there just isn't enough SETI work to go around and to have something else take up the extra cycles is a good thing to do.

meh... I keep my seti updated daily... every day I make sure that I have a full supply of workunits and that all my workunits that are finished are uploaded... This way in case of downtime I have like a 7 day supply :) and have 14 days to get the workunits in... the longest shortage was what like 4 days? diden't even effect me at all...

ozzlo said:
meh... I keep my seti updated daily... every day I make sure that I have a full supply of workunits and that all my workunits that are finished are uploaded... This way in case of downtime I have like a 7 day supply :) and have 14 days to get the workunits in... the longest shortage was what like 4 days? diden't even effect me at all...
Exactly!

It would be nice if we could set a specific computer to run a project at x% instead of messing around with the global settings on the account page.

Back