• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crappy Performance From Asus GeForce4 Ti4800SE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Taaweak

Registered
Hey all, I own an Asus Geforce4 Ti4800SE. I have all the latest drivers AND have removed previous drivers and have recently started overclocking it but can only get it to run at 290/672 (as opposed to the default 275/550). I noticed an increase in performance but not what i'd believe would live up to reviews of this card being "awesome" like i've read in places. Can you guys please give me some pointers to increasing its performance please? Thanks in advance.

Here are my system specs:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe Ai Series Motherboard (Onboard soundcard)
Pentium 4 3.2 with hyperthreading (turned on)
Hardcore 512mb DDR RAM
Asus GeForce4 Ti4800SE running at 290/672 (Most i can run stabilly)
Seagate 200Gb Hard Drive (40% Free Space)
Pioneer DVD Drive

The card was awsome a few years ago. You won't get much of an increase in performance in newer games because of the lack of DX9 support in the card

yeah but i mean in old games the performance is kinda crappy. On my old pc, a P3 666 and a GeForce2 Mx, Battlefield 1942 ran better, but i think that might just be cause i copied it straight from my old pc to the new one... but still... overall, it doesnt run the best

There should be a huge improvement going from your old pc to your new one.
Make sure your chipset drivers are installed so that your not running the card in pci mode.

Oh yeah, theres a huge improvement overall, but the card seems to lack in some games when u'd think it'd be able to handle something at full... what are chipset drivers and where do i get them?

ahh, i havent installed any of the drivers that came with my motherboard since i got it. I'm doing that now but i dont think it did that much. What drivers would get the agp going and how would i know? should i just try the updates for the motherboard's drivers? will doing this do THAT much?

ok, the video card says im in pci mode and i installed the drivers that came with the motherboard. I'm also downloading the updates for it on the asus website. I read i need to change some settings in bios but first have to update the bios before i can do that to change it over to agp. does that sound right?

Well no you shouldnt need to touch the bios except maybe to set the primary display device to agp not pci and maybe to set the agp rate.Usually just set it to auto.

Back