• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with a pelter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanSr

Ok I was under the impression that a pelter was a water block.
what is it and how good is it as a cooler???

Right. A peliter is a small, generally flat white device which uses some pretty gruesome physics. It basically transfers heat from one side to the other.

It comprises of a hot side and a cold side. The cold side will generally be 70 degrees celcius or more colder than the hot side, so the idea is to cool the hot side down as much as possible, then put the cold side against your CPU core. Smaller peltiers (or TECs [ Thermo Electric Cooling devices ]) can be colled off pretty well just using a heatsink and a fan, much like you'd cool a CPU. But bigger pelts, with a greater ability to shift heat around, generally require water cooling to make the cold side any cooler than you could get your CPU with a fan.

Thats why most people using Pelts will use them in a water cooling setup. Its a separate piece of kit from the water block, but is generally used with one.

Help?

so how much help would it be with the tiasol HSF, my system is pretty cool now, so i'm not sure how much it will help.

also how much problem is there with condensation?

Depends what processor you have and if you're overclocking it. A Taisol probably wouldn't be able to cope with the thermal load of both the peltier's hot side and the CPU heat on a thunderbird, as you'd really be looking at a 112w+ pelt.

Sorry, just looked at your siggie =)))

I'd wouldn't have thought a Pelt alone would get that any cooler than it already is, perhaps it would heat it up some.

yea thats what I was thinkin, I don't think its worth the money.

its down to 35C now with Comair's,
this thing is awesome.

Here's a pix, I've touched it up since the pix. so forgive the few scratches

I love this thing, it sounds like Jet when I start up and shut down.

It gave me a headach the first night but now I'm so used to it I don't even hear it anymore.

believe it or not but I have 4 more of these bad boys, but I'm going to wait for my new case with a 431 or 550psu.

Someone "good in math" said that with the small air space and so much cfm that I'm cycling fresh air ever .4 sec.
I think runnin about 600 or so CFM

Back