• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vid card died ..so whats next?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizard james

well, after the death of my 9800pro, i am faced with what get now.

one card i know of is the 6600gt (agp) ..now i know in the next.. half year i am going to be upgrading to a64, but..in 6-8 months will that card be the same as the pci one? will i be able to sell it for a pcie version?

and..is it better then my 9800pro ? (that i had cloced way past xt speeds) i cant get a 6800...casue they are going for way over 600 dollers )canadain)

so? what should i get? ...

Depends on how much of a budget you have now and how important like gaming/rendering/whatever requires 3d performance is to you.

I would reccomend that you do not make a big investment into AGP atm as although it still has quite a bit of life in it, you will probably want to go PCI-E with your A64 upgrade.

I would recommend getting a fairly cheap card such as somewhere between a 9600XT and a 6600GT for the moment until you are upgrading.

I'd check the classifed here, there's like 2 9800pros for about $160 shipped. I'd get one of them to hold you over until your a64 upgrade

stang8118 said:
I'd check the classifed here, there's like 2 9800pros for about $160 shipped. I'd get one of them to hold you over until your a64 upgrade

I agree check the Classifieds here, with many people migrating to PCI-e video cards, there have been a lot of 6600's and 6800gt, X800 AGP and such, priced reasonably. I'd get a card better than a 9800 if the price was within your budget.

I had upgraded from a 9700PRO which was vmodded and oc'ed into 9800XT territory.
The 6600GT proved an excellent upgrade and for >$200 don't sweat it too much. It'll hold you over and they're always be someone to sell the card to in the near future. :thup:

consumer9000 said:
I had upgraded from a 9700PRO which was vmodded and oc'ed into 9800XT territory.
The 6600GT proved an excellent upgrade and for >$200 don't sweat it too much. It'll hold you over and they're always be someone to sell the card to in the near future. :thup:

Yeah but why burn another $50-60 for a card you only plan on keeping a few months? It's more money he can dump into his new system. Not like the 6600gts are 'much' better then the 9800pro's.

stang8118 said:
Yeah but why burn another $50-60 for a card you only plan on keeping a few months? It's more money he can dump into his new system. Not like the 6600gts are 'much' better then the 9800pro's.

That was what I was thinking. So might as well get like a 9700pro or whatever until you can afford a 6600gt or whatever with your new system. Btw William likes 9700pros :D

lol, well.. i might just buy the new card, in pci-e version.

casue someone asked me i was selling my motherboard and cpu... so for about 160 dollers, i will sell it ..buy a cpu and mobo, and a videocard... gota get a job and stop the perants from paying everything.. argg

i would either get like a 6600gt (cant these overclock pretty nicly?) or like a 4200 ti, 4200 ti is weak and old but can handle most apps even most new games like u2k4. Though I would not get it if you are planning on going long term and are a gamer. (im an nvidia man so I can recommend and radeans haha)

i think something cheap like a ti4600 would be sufficent, because he said he is going pci express in a few months or something.

Yeah something real Cheap, Like im using an MX440 From an 5600 ULTRA (With some serious Overclocking) and all i can say is that it's been fine not as great as my 5600 but still its done now all im doing is waiting for an X800XL AGP to be relesed here in the uk, but for a couple of months an 6600GT anit worth it!

heres what i am getting,

6600gt ..(still thinking tho.. casue theres no coolers..unless i water) the sli mother board from asus, and a 3200+ or what ever comes out next under 300 dollers cpu

Back