• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

600 pointers back in beta

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChasR

p1140 and p1141 were changed to beta, internal late yesterday. They have been removed from psummary. There aren't enough other big WUs to go around so look to get some Tinkers and little Gromacs mixed in with the p13xx, p19xx, and p147x big WUs until the problems with the 600 pointers are fixed and they are rereleased.

Shazbot that suck's and I just got another pc running after 6 month's.

From what I see at the community forums, it looks like they are rolling out a new core that will be necessary for upcoming WU's, plus some "fixit" mods done to the core too. Here's what G has to say about the new core:

G said:
There's a new version of Core_78 in beta now. <snip>

- Scientific additions. The first project requiring these improvements will come online soon.
- Failsafe to automatically exit within 3 hours if progress has not been made (this has been observed only on 2 large WU projects).
- Possible resolution to the Windows issue where a core would appear to finish but then hang. As we didn't reproduce this, we'll know if it's helped only from your reports.
- Backup of the checkpoint file. Note that this does not affect early unit ends, etc. -- it's intended to help if the CP file (and only that file) becomes corrupted. If the backup is used, you'll see something like the below in your log upon startup.
[20:49:54] - Attempting to revert to backup...
[20:49:54] - Reversion succeeded

That last part sounds especially good if it works. I know that all of us have lost work units because of some kind of improper shutdown or loss of electricity or something like that and having a backup to the checkpoint will be great.

As far as getting BP work under the -advmethods flag, the servers are still dishing out the p1476 work, which yields some extraordinary points returns on both AMD and Intel machines, with them absolutely smoking on an A64 machine. They also have the p19xx series being served out to Intel P4/Xeon silicon. I imagine that if this new core proves stable over the next few days, you will see the return on the p1140 and p1141 work back to -advmethods.

Yea I cant wait for the 600pointer's to come around again.

Back