• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Everyone is leaving...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

heezer7

Seti Addicts,

Well, over the last two weeks it looks as if we have lost many active, productive members of our team. It is sad watching this team as it appears to be on a quick downward fall! I have not been here for a really long time but a few years. I remember trying the betas of boinc and thinking WTF! Things are still not perfect but a ton better. There are outages here and there, but with a high queue set is it not that bad of a problem. You just don't see the stats update or have the ability to upload. As other have said, attach to another project. Personally, I have climate prediction set as a second because their deadlines are a year+ so I don't have to worry about finishing the wu any time soon. It has just been kind of sad checking the forums and seeing very few new posts. When there is something new, it is a rant or a good bye. We should all stick together and keep charging up the ranks. We are #9 with a few spots just barely out of reach. It would be awesome to see us in the top 5 or higher!!

I don't exactly know what else to say. I just think it stinks the way things have been going lately and I am asking everyone to give seti one more chance. For the sake of the team, lets stick together.

Jon

Well I think until we see more stability in Seti you are going to see more people moving toward other BOINC projects and Seti as a backup. That is just going to be a fact of life for awhile.

Well put.

People are frustrated, SETIs been up and down lately. Sad thing is that the issues aren't the SETI people's fault, but rather faulty power in their building, or their connection dropping dead.

Just think of the frustration going on, finally getting a new server that can handle the work load, getting another database snapshot in for preparation to shut down classic. Then wham, power problems and network problems!

So if your reading this and frustrated with the problem, imagine how the people in charge of running the project are feeling right now.

So please show some patience, run a backup project, or just set your caches higher. The project isn't going anywhere and it will be up and running again.

I'm not going anywhere ;) I also disagree with Aqua's reasoning (Sorry man :)) - there is absolutely no reason not to run SETI as your primary project.

It has been said about 100 times on these forums - attach to more than one project - its not that hard and I don't understand why people freak out over outages - it is totally silly :) For my part - I have my resources split 99/1 between SETI and Einstein. SETI will crunch fine and use einstein as a backup if it has problems.

Also - SET UP YOUR QUEUES - again, it just isn't that hard. Through all these outages I have run out of SETI units *once* for about 5 hours, at which point the machines switched to einstein. Heck I still have 3-4 days worth of work units left. And if I run out, so what? I have a backup project.

I for one am not really worried about this team. We have some folks who react badly to downtime, and that is fine - they will be here crunching when seti is stable, and elsewhere when it isnt. We also have folks who are hardcore dedicated and realize outages are not the end of the world :) The team will go on.

Take care overclockers,
Enk

That is not reasoning it is a fact going by the stats and the number of people that have moved to different projects.

OC Folding has jumped in leaps and bounds since the issue's with Seti.

First off, I do not want this to be anpther thread ranting about all this. I was trying to be more of an inspiration.
All the above it true. Folding activity has increased. I was poking around their forums today.
Lets just crunch and be happy! :attn:

I wasn't disagreeing that people have switched :) Just that there is plenty of reason to stay with seti and use other projects as backups. As heezer says - just crunch and be happy :)

If anyone is thinking of leaving and needs some help getting projects setup as backup projects feel free to PM me and I'll do what I can to help ya out.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Enk

i left - i went to the F@H - i used seti way back and BOINC (was ranked 19th in our team and rising)

it seemed like every other day there were connection issue - i had 7 days worth set as my que and often i could not uplload or download anything and just get errors so my systems would sit there with WU to upload but no where to go!

So yes i got fed up - they need to fix what ever issues are causing these interuptons, once they do i may consider putting some systems back to BOINC.

Mr.Guvernment said:
i left - i went to the F@H - i used seti way back and BOINC (was ranked 19th in our team and rising)

Yeah, you were one of the people I saw that started to have 0 credit. Hope some time seti gets more stable and you will return to us. Good luck folding in the mean time.

Seti ; as far as im concern will always be the # 1 project for me :) I must say though i do like E@H its a challenge ; but seti will always be primary for me. Hope more people look at it like this; as long as you have cache units crunch on. Iff you run out run cross-project as i have chosen [email protected] helps our whole team to run cross-projects iff necessary.Try to stay positive about the whole thing with stats ; and Crunch On Team :attn:

As a long time Folder, I feel your pain, Seti folks. Now the roles are pretty well reversed over what it was like 3 years ago; F@H (version 2) was a new DC project with all kinds of teething troubles with both clients and server issues and Seti was the DC project that had been up and running for years and was relatively painless. Now since you've gone to BOINC, the roles are pretty well reversed with the F@H project being pretty well debugged and Seti having the teething problems. :eek: :bang head At least the folks who are tired of fighting the problems are staying with an O/C DC team when they switch to Folding though.

I hope that you all get some better luck with keeping things going soon. :)

heezer7 said:
Yeah, you were one of the people I saw that started to have 0 credit. Hope some time seti gets more stable and you will return to us. Good luck folding in the mean time.

hehe, that was me - had never heard of SETi till i came to O/C and then i borged all our works computers i could get my hands on..lol :D

Well well well, if it isn't the Muddocktor himself :D

How are ya :D

You won't see me budging off SETI. To put it bluntly... downtime happens. If some individuals are not able to cope with the fact that occasionally downtime (and yes, sometimes major downtime) occurs in a project and fly to greener pastures to keep their workunit addiction fed, then so be it. I can't stop you.

However, it really all comes down to this: If you love the project, the science and what it all stands for, you stick with the project through thick & thin.

i am sticking with a project, now if poeple are simply leaving and doing nothing to use those CPU cycles thas another story.

Exactly. Anyway, the xeon is running four threads of E@H. I wanted to do P@H, but couldn't get any work for it... Oh well, at least the beast is alive!

Back