• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some Advice....MB...AMD DDR...:) I TRUST THE FOLKS HERE FOR ADVICE......

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Atsinger

Registered
:cool:
I came this board many times when constructing my OC'd systems.

A BE-6 w/Celermine533A@800
A BE-6 II w/Celermine 566@850

Well the BE-6 II has flaked out. I ahve ran both for over a year now and the BE-6 II will now only boot with a celery slot 1 366.

The 566@850 works fine in my daughters Tyan 400 @850 so I am clueless. I just get beeps when trying to boot the 566@850 on the BE-6 II. I think I have Slot problem. Oh well time to move on.

I have decided on a "palimino?" AMD T-bird @1.4. No real OC needed right? I might try anyway :).

I have studied the MB information I can get, but have some questions,
(1) Which chipset? AMD 761 or Via266.
Via266A is a shue in but no boards availiable and I will be purchasing real soon.

(2) What Brand? I have a sour feeling for Abit at the moment and GigAbyte has a board with the 761 chipset that also has a 128 bit soundblaster PCI on board audio. I know that sounds bad but that is plenty for me. I have a SB live if needed though. I want a good combo CPU/MB/MEM but even PCnut seemed high.

oops......new forum...sorry

Any ideas or advice for the above?

Anyone know how soon the k266A will be availiable?

:D

I have a epox 8k7a (amd 760) and like it.

You need a strong power supply and good heatsink to overclock the 1.4ghz cpu.

if you can't wait for the 266a, you might look at Shuttle's AK31. Epox boards also seem to be getting some good recommendations lately too. But as near as I can tell the Shuttle has the best bang for the buck out there *at the moment*.

nihili

hmmm

Shuttle's AK31 ???

I had a shuttle board once w/233 P5. It was a pretty good board and OC'd well after I learned how. Matter of fact it is still running which is more than I can say for my brother's Matsonic 233 AMD board.

I have a 300W ps/w 52x cdrom, 8X CDRW, 32MB DDR GeForce, 40Gig 5400 & 30Gig 7200 Maxtors, Actiontech Call Waiting Mode, misc USB attachements, SB live that will not work in either BE-6 board now( thinking it was fried?). Windows just sees a PC CARD and will not recognize it as a SB live.

Is that to much?

Shuttle AK31. Cheap, stable, easy overclock, compatible. I've had mine for two months with no problems at all:

Athlon 1.4 @ 1.618 GHz (1.87V) @ 10.5 X 154 MHz
Shuttle AK31V2 KT266 Motherboard
Thermalright SK6 HS with 40 cfm 7K YS Tech Fan
256 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM @ CAS2
Western Digital 30GB 7200 rpm ATA100 IDE HD
Seagate Barracuda 18GB 7200 rpm SCSI HD
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller
Visiontek GeForce2 GTS Ultra 64MB DDR AGP @ 275/500
SBLive! 5.1 OEM PCI Sound
Philips 8x/4x/32x IDE CDR/RW
Delta 12x IDE DVD-ROM
Generic ATX Case with Antec PP352X 350W PS
56K Modem
Dual Boot Win2K SP2 and Win98 OEM

First, Atsinger, welcome to the forums!

I also have the shuttle AK31 Rev.2, and have found it to be an awsome board. go here to check it out, and read about more awards given to one mobo that I've ever seen. Deservingly so.

And for around 80 bucks, they are almost giving them away.

If you go to the "Sticky Poll" link, I have posted a few of my benchmarks............

Doctor

Last edited:
Shuttle A31? vs GigaByte 761

I have read the reviews, and it looks great! But doed it have enough CPU fan connectors?

I was leaning toward the Gigabyte with the PCI sound chip and AMD 761. What is the bonus with going with a k266? I would grab a 266A but that will be weeks at the minimum right?

Re: Shuttle A31? vs GigaByte 761

Atsinger said:
I have read the reviews, and it looks great! But doed it have enough CPU fan connectors?

I was leaning toward the Gigabyte with the PCI sound chip and AMD 761. What is the bonus with going with a k266? I would grab a 266A but that will be weeks at the minimum right?

The AK31 has four fan connectors. If you want more than that you'll need to pull them off the PSU. Of course if you have whomping big fans, you may want to consider pulling them of the PSU regardless of your motherboard. Oh, I should mention that only two of the onboard fan connectors have RPM sensors on them. I've no idea why they didn't put them on all of em. *shrug*

nihili

Hey Thanks!

IS the 760 chipset better than via266? THe 760 based Gigabyte board I am looking at has a PCI on borad sound so maybe that is the route.
But sound is no that big a concern to me and the extra cost savings with the shuttle means more memory.

WHat to do???????????????

I can't comment on the superiority of 760 vs. 266 chipsets. It sounds like you're at the stage where you've got most of the info and just need to decide what your priorities are.

For what it's worth, although I was something of an audio snob, the years have made my ears more tolerant and the onboard AC97 audio of the Shuttle sounds great. Of course I'm not playing it through a high quality amp onto reference quality speakers either. But played through the little harman/kardon PC speakers, I'm quite happy with it.

nihili

Back