• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

anyone else reserve the PSP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

I went to my local Gamestop store, and shelled out 260 dollars ( including tax ) in cash for the thing.

i pick it up tomorrow!!! i can't wait.

sadly, untill i get my next check, i don't have the money for any games...unless i want to skip work due to not having gas money....but i think i need gas a bit more than a game...i can wait a week or two for a game.

So, anoyone else planning on getting the PSP tomorrow too? And if so, what games are you looking forward to?

personally, i can't wait for Advent Children to come out on the PSP ( and DVD ).

me and my friends are going to get a couple of the games that allows multi-player over the Wireless built in the PSP. Some games can support up to 16 players at once! i still can't believe the power this little thing has. its a slightly dumbed down PS2 that can fit in your pocket.

...but now i have to go out and get a ton of accessories for it. a Good case to keep it safe. Some screen protectors to keep the screen perfect. a decent size memory card.....god i'm going to blow all my money on this damn thing....

i'm not really into the portable gaming scene, correction i'm currently not into the portable gaming scene. The last portable thing I had was a GameBoy Advance, and i traded that thing in after about 6 months with it. Before that, I had the Sega GameGear which I loved because at the time that was the only portable gaming machine that had a backlit screen. I guess the portables are good for long trips, but this Christmas I recieved a portable DVD player and I'm fine with that on trips.

better screen and sweet functions?

to each his own, im sure anyone would be happy with either

techun said:
better screen and sweet functions?

to each his own, im sure anyone would be happy with either

well said, two guys that ride my bus have DS's and I've played it for about 5 minutes. Overall I don't think i would spend money on it only because it's hard to see the screen because IMHO the backlit screen isn't bright enough or powerful enough.

I'll wait to see the screen on the PSP (gonna go check it out at the store tomorrow while I go get lunch), but I've played my DS for hours at a time and found the screen to be quite good and quite sharp. I have poor vision too.

Umm isn't the PSP suppose to be faster then a PS2? It has a 300Mhz core which the PS2 has a 233Mhz right? I swear I kept seeing in reports that the PSP was a PS2 that had more power in it. Yet it was portable :drool:

PS2 SPECS

rocessor Clock Speed 300MHz
L1 Cache Instruction 16KB, Data 8KB, 16K SPRAM
System Memory
Main Memory 32MB RDRAM
Main Memory Bandwidth 3.2GB/s
Graphics Processor and Memory
Graphics Processor Graphics Synthesizer
Graphics Core Clock Speed 150MHz
Graphics Frame Buffer 4MB Embedded DRAM
Video Memory 4MB VRAM
Fill Rate (pixels) 2.4 Gpixels/s
Fill Rate (texels) 1.2 Gtexels/s
Fill Rate (triangles) 75 Mtriangles/s
Pixel Depth 32-bit color, 32-bit Z-buffer

PSP SPECS

Processor
Processor MIPS R4000
Processor Clock Speed 1-333MHz
Processor (2nd) MIPS R4000
Processor Clock Speed (2nd) 1-333MHz
System Memory
Main Memory 8MB EDRAM
Video Memory 2MB EDRAM
Fill Rate (pixels) 664 Mpixels/s
Fill Rate (triangles) 33 Mtriangles/s

Blackmage said:
PS2 SPECS

rocessor Clock Speed 300MHz
L1 Cache Instruction 16KB, Data 8KB, 16K SPRAM
System Memory
Main Memory 32MB RDRAM
Main Memory Bandwidth 3.2GB/s
Graphics Processor Graphics Synthesizer
Graphics Core Clock Speed 150MHz
Graphics Frame Buffer 4MB Embedded DRAM
Video Memory 4MB VRAM
Fill Rate (pixels) 2.4 Gpixels/s
Fill Rate (texels) 1.2 Gtexels/s
Fill Rate (triangles) 75 Mtriangles/s
Pixel Depth 32-bit color, 32-bit Z-buffer

PSP SPECS

Processor
Processor MIPS R4000
Processor Clock Speed 1-333MHz
Processor (2nd) MIPS R4000
Processor Clock Speed (2nd) 1-333MHz
System Memory
Main Memory 8MB EDRAM
Video Memory 2MB EDRAM
Fill Rate (pixels) 664 Mpixels/s
Fill Rate (triangles) 33 Mtriangles/s

Thx I knew the PSP Processor was faster. But got to remember also that this is on a small screen it doesn't need HDTV quality coming out of it. So thats why I'm guessing the 8MB main and 2MB Video gets it by.

maybe you think the screen is sharp because of your poor vision? lo, playing games w/o my contacts is hard

btw, i too thought the backlighting of the ds sucks

Maybe I am just used to the crappy screen of the original GBA, and it makes the DS screens look good.

Mine looks great IMO, and I love the touch screen. Fantastic idea for a portable game machine, as long as people develop stuff for it.

I've had mine for about a month now and love it. I cant wait untill tomorrow to get some games that I can read and understand. :cool:

Big Nuttz said:
I've had mine for about a month now and love it. I cant wait untill tomorrow to get some games that I can read and understand. :cool:

I had mine for a while now and it is the best handheld system I have ever had. As of now, I got three games: Lumines, Dynasty Warriors, and Untold Lengends.

Lumines is a great puzzle game with a mix of J-pop music. Replay value is two thumbs up, but playing it for long hours makes me get bored. If your going to get Lumines, get another game while your at it.

Dynasty Warriors is the same game as the PS2 version, but still plays great. The only problem is that there will be slowdowns once in a while, when you having a ton of guys on the screen. Doesn't bother me at all.

I just got Untold Legends a minute ago and I haven't started playing yet. I heard that the sound wasn't that good, but I'll come back and tell you guys with my own ears. :)

yeah, Dinasty Warriors and untold legends are two games i'm definetly picking up.

sadly, within a month or two, the PSP will have more game titles for it, than the DS.

i don't own a DS, my friend does. he's thinking about trading in the DS. since no games he likes is out on it, nor will be for quite a while, all he uses it for is a slightly better picture and sterio sound for the Advance games.

the PSP will have many more ( and better, in my own opinion ) titles for it. The screen is 16x9. Sharper image than the DS. Better GFX than the DS. built in wireless. even though it costs alot more than the DS, i feel its worth it, for all the stuff you get packed into something that you could fit inside your pocket.

so, in the morning, i'm heading to the store to pick it up. i would have gotten it tonight, as Gamestop opened back up at midnight for a few hours to sell the PSP for those that reserved it, i didn't get off work till 1:30am. and didn't get home till 2am, and they were already closed. so, i'll just pick it up in the morning, no big deal really.

i soooo can't wait to test thing thing out!!!!

Back