• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ready to do a little web serving from my house, need to set up dual zones.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

samuraisam

So I signed up for a no-ip for testing reasons (going full-blown as soon as I get all the kinks worked out), and I got exactly what I expected, my router login. :p

I'm running Fedora Linux ATM (switch every few days :p), prolly Gentoo again next and then on to another distro! But I'm sure this is universal so I need help setting up dual zones so that I can be secure within my network (other computers including folding cluster) and still be able to web serve outside of the router. I have experience with webservers (I've set up a few), but I've never done this before. Do I need smoothwall? Only the replies will tell...

Thanks!
-Sam

You need a router which allows you to portforward port 80/tcp and port 443/tcp if you want to use encrypted https connections.

If you have some sucky router which won't allow you to portforward them, then yes, you need a new one. Potentially smoothwall but not necessarily

you have a few choices. Port forwarding which is what I would recomend or you could set the linux box up in the DMZ and protect it with it's own firewall.

Through your router setup, you can specifically tell it which ports to forward, and what ip to forward them to. So, say you have your webserver setup on 192.168.1.2 (static IP is highly recommended, so you dont have to keep updating your port forwarding). So you would forward ports 443 to 192.168.1.2. Now, whenever somebody from outside tries to access your network through port 443, it would send the packets to your computer with that IP (192.168.1.2)

Aaah, great.

I'll do that.

Can someone explain the dual zones though using the DMZ?

-sam

Don't use DMZ, use port forwarding. If you use DMZ you will have to set up the linux server as a firewall and secure it more so than if you just foward the ports you want to it.

Back