• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC.com Readers Recommendations on DDR Mobos

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What is the best motherboard?

• Abit KG7

Votes: 44 22.7%
  • Epox 8K7A

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • Epox 8KHA

Votes: 18 9.3%
  • ECS K7S5A

Votes: 13 6.7%
  • ASUS A7M266

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • Shuttle AK31

Votes: 17 8.8%
  • Iwill KA266

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Soyo Dragon

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • Other

Votes: 27 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok i know the ecs k7s5a isn't THE best board, but at stock speeds nothing can touch it that's currently out there.

My second best would ahve to go to the epox 8kha

Well I havent read much on the toher boards... but the Epox 8k7a board has had excellent reviews... My plan is to get that as my next mobo.. only the raid version...

Well for the money you just cannot beat the ECS K7S5A....I changed out the ECS with a KG7-RAID and really cannot tell the difference between the two boards...sure did notice the price difference !!!

If you want a GREAT mobo, take a look here at the Shuttle Ak31 Rev.2.

1) AMD reccomended!
2) Totally jumper free.
3) 4 DDR Dimm slots
4) Up to 166mhz FSB
5) Temperature monitor will shut down the mobo at a set CPU over temp.
6) $87.00 on Price Watch!!!
7) It's won more awards than any mobo I've ever seen.

Take a look at my specs below to see why I'm smiling :p

Doctor

I have a Epox 8k7a+ and it costs 117 dollars at newegg.com and only problem that it has is a lot of jumpers and only two dimms but the board has these features.

100-250mhz fsb in one mhz increments!!!
0824 bios supports Athlon4/Palmino/morgan/xp
great memory scores!
adjust memory voltage from 2.5-2.9volts
with a tbird you can reach 2.15-2.2volts with out doing a volt mod :)
cool hit keyboard to turn machine on function.
also the intergrated sound and raid is a nice plus for the bargain hunters.

Doctor nice OC! what are your memory scores with that beast. 3dm2001 score of 8120!!! good god man.

el said:
Doctor nice OC! what are your memory scores with that beast. 3dm2001 score of 8120!!! good god man.

Thanks for the kind words :)

Here ya go:

3DMark 2001 = 8255
3DMark 2000 = 11217

My memory benchmark is a little low because I'm using 3X256meg sticks of DDR, and I cant get the bus any faster becaus of this. This mobo will clock all the way up to 166FSB with only one stick!
MemBench below....

Last edited:
I have to agree with Doctor I love the AK31 REV2 , look at the reviews on this board , it is the fastest via kt266 board that there is.and for 80.00 you cannot beat it.This board also has true power support for the palimino as in 3 phase power not 2.
wildone

Given the purpose of the poll, this one won't give much useful information. Many [most] of us don't have extensive experience with a wide variety of currently available boards, so this is likely to end up as a cheering contest rather than anything helpful. Also there's no way to see what "other" boards are being recommended. So even if a pcchips board were the one most often considered best, there would be no way to for a reader to figure this out.

How about something like:

1. What board do you use? (choose from a large list with a comment box for "other")

2. Rate this board's performance. (1-10)

3. Rate this board's stability. (1-10)

4. Rate this board's value. (1-10)

5. Would you recommend this board to newbies?

5. Have you experienced any negative issues with this board?
(yes/no with comment box)

6. General Comments (comment box)

Members should be able to vote multiple times if they have experience with multiple boards. Comments should be collected onto pages according to mobo. Results should be viewable for the past month, 3 months, and year (or something like that.)

Other things to consider asking:
Type of processor
Amount of experience with the board
Amount of cpu and fsb overclock attained

Granted, this sort of poll is a lot more work to set up, but it will be less work to maintain since it won't need to be totally redone everytime a new whizbang board appears. It will automatically track changes in recommendations on a sliding time scale as the industry changes. The major drawback is that people can vote multiple times and skew the results. But we're already at the mercy of people's goodwill and honesty here, so that's not really a new problem.

just some ideas,

nihili

wildone said:
I have to agree with Doctor I love the AK31 REV2 , look at the reviews on this board , it is the fastest via kt266 board that there is.and for 80.00 you cannot beat it.This board also has true power support for the palimino as in 3 phase power not 2.
wildone

I think this mobo should be one of the ones we can vote for, rather than "Other", don't you?

Doctor

As a case in point. As I write this, "other" is tied for second place. I can tell form the posts that "other" really means AK31 in this case, but the poll doesn't reflect that.

nihili

Doctor said:

I think this mobo should be one of the ones we can vote for, rather than "Other", don't you?

Doctor

Yes I agree totally , I believe that the highest achieved overlock was by you DR on the ak31 and it deserves better then other , have you seen any higher clock speed then you have Doctor , I posted about this in amd cpu's.
wildone

nihili said:
Given the purpose of the poll, this one won't give much useful information. Many [most] of us don't have extensive experience with a wide variety of currently available boards, so this is likely to end up as a cheering contest rather than anything helpful. Also there's no way to see what "other" boards are being recommended. So even if a pcchips board were the one most often considered best, there would be no way to for a reader to figure this out.

How about something like:

1. What board do you use? (choose from a large list with a comment box for "other")

2. Rate this board's performance. (1-10)

3. Rate this board's stability. (1-10)

4. Rate this board's value. (1-10)

5. Would you recommend this board to newbies?

5. Have you experienced any negative issues with this board?
(yes/no with comment box)

6. General Comments (comment box)

Members should be able to vote multiple times if they have experience with multiple boards. Comments should be collected onto pages according to mobo. Results should be viewable for the past month, 3 months, and year (or something like that.)

Other things to consider asking:
Type of processor
Amount of experience with the board
Amount of cpu and fsb overclock attained

Granted, this sort of poll is a lot more work to set up, but it will be less work to maintain since it won't need to be totally redone everytime a new whizbang board appears. It will automatically track changes in recommendations on a sliding time scale as the industry changes. The major drawback is that people can vote multiple times and skew the results. But we're already at the mercy of people's goodwill and honesty here, so that's not really a new problem.

just some ideas,

nihili

Excellent idea!!!

Doctor

wildone said:

Yes I agree totally , I believe that the highest achieved overlock was by you DR on the ak31 and it deserves better then other , have you seen any higher clock speed then you have Doctor , I posted about this in amd cpu's.
wildone

Someone says they have a 1.4 TBird clocked to 1875mhz, in the AMD benchmarks.

Mine runs at this speed all day long, crash-free. Very stable! Not a one shot deal....

Doctor

yeah but his mobo is modded and I don't think that makes it the best for newbie overclockers but it does deserve the atleast a spot on the list and I think we should have less "talk and more links to reviews and features of the mobos even a few places in the post that people could buy them too.

for example

Name of board: duh NAME GOES HERE
Manufactures website: add link
Reviews: add link/personal experience
cost:
Purchase: links
High points:
Lows/conflicts:

Interestingly, "other" is now in the lead. However I have no idea whether the additional to votes are for AK31 or something else.

One further consideration in favor of doing the poll in a more complex fashion is that the poll could be applied to a number of different things. There have been several case threads recently. The general format I suggested above could, with minor modifications, be applied to intel cpus, cases, psu, fans, video cards, ram, etc....

Alas I haven't a clue how to go about setting up such a poll or I'd mock up something.

nihili

well I havent modded mine and I got 1450 with a 1 gig chip , plus there are no jumpers to set so that should make it very easy for a noob.

also about the 1875 chip ,I dont really think that is possible ,not stable wise anyway.

wildone

Back