• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best brand of blank DVDs for burning movies, not data?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Baddox

Registered
What are your guys' opinions on the best brand of blank DVDs? I'm wanting to burn actual movies to play in home DVD players, and with some 4x Ridata DVD-R ones I bought a while back, every single movie begins skipping and eventually stops playing toward the last half hour or so of the movie, on every home DVD player. I've used the 2 free DVDs that came with my Lite-On SOHW 1633S burner, and they both played fine on DVD players, so I know it was that media. Now I'm ready to buy some more, so I'd like some suggestions. I want at least 8x (16x would be great but there's not much of a selection yet), and I would prefer DVD+R (because I can only change the booktype to DVD-ROM on +Rs), but if DVD-Rs are better then I'll go with that. Thanks.

IF you know what works good, stick with that. Get your burner to read the media code off the 2 free sample disks, then look it up here....
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia
So you know what to buy.

Also, you might check to see if there is a later firmware version for your burner and upgrade it, then it's possible that those other disks you got will work better. Upgraded firmware often includes upgraded write strategies for better compatibility with various media.

regards,

Road Warrior

I've been using the BenQ -R's (Sony Media code), and they work absolutely perfect. Used in about 10 different players, all perfect.

As already mentioned, you should use CDSpeed (available from www.nero.com) and see what the media code is for the dvd's that you have had success with, and continue to use them.

One of the things to look for is the dye type,one of the best on the market is the Ritek g04 or g05 dyes or the Taiyo Yuden dyes.If you can get hold of Datawrite Titanium discs they have one of the best ratings going but they are DVD-R's .If you don't mind paying over the top IMO the best are any Verbatim disc's but you do pay extra.

Thanks for the replies, and thanks RoadWarrior for that awesome videohelp link, that's a great site I remember seeing a LONG time ago--it's gotten a lot bigger now. I ended up settling with a 100 pack of AVB's that were really cheap (35 bucks shipping included from newegg) that had good reviews on videohelp and one guy said they worked with my exact burner, so hopefully these will work out.

for future reference, or for others with the same problem, tigerdirect.com has some really good deals on DVDs, i got a 100 pack of philips DVDs, which worked great, for $30 Canadian. Shipping was like 6 bucks, so it was roughly the same as what you paid, but the philips were really good quality

i buy w/e's on sale as long as its brandname or the code translates to something brandname

memorex disks work great. they play in almost anything. i get em off of newegg cheap. they are durable and i never got the skips towards the end like i did with cheap disks.

Back