• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help computer rebooting on overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AlanD911

Ok guys this is really weird my computer randomly reboots after awhile of using it with a 2.65 overclock on a 3200+ i dont know why this is happening since it does not reboot as soon as you enter windows but it just randomly reboots from time to time please help me fix this

most likely it isn't stable or if you've tested stable at those speeds, then maybe it's the psu

Booting into windows does not make you stable but your pretty close. If i go 1mhz over the top i get random crashes so back down a bit or increase the voltage on your cpu,if that does not help with the voltage then your probably maxed on your cpu so just drop your fsb down. run prime95 for a few hours to check your stability.

ok my cpu voltage is 1.7 and im running the memory at 200mhz which i guess is 1:1

how long should i run the stress tests for prime95 and how would i isolate the problem if i fail the testst

I would say quite simply your system is not stable and you probably need extra voltage (you have water cooling but not sure of your temps) so that could be an option - the other would be to settle for say 2.6Ghz.

For the best help, you should answer hitech's post, which links you to instructions to help answer the question.

You may also consider useing the edit button under your post rather than triple posting, but I understand your new, so this is just some advice.

reply to i.m.o.g well i would do those things but I do not know how long to test those specific programs for example prime95 torture tests or memtest86 since they constantly just loop

You may test these and see whether it passes some or all of them.

Memtest only test memory fault, it tests CPU, system very lightly. (You said it passed, so don't do this).

SuperPI 32 M - Test CPU, memory, system together, takes about 30 min. Record the time score.

3Dmark 01 - take about 5 - 10 min. Test CPU, memory, system, video. Report the score.

3Dmark 03 - take about 5 - 10 min. Test CPU, memory, system, video. Report the score.

If it passes all these, it is basically stable (cannot claim totally stable under heavy load).

Report what you get from them first (all take less than an hour to do).

If it passes above, then you may try these each for about 2 - 4 hour, final test should be 12+ hours on each.

Prime95 small FFT - mainly testing CPU and cache

Prime95 large FFT - mainly testing CPU, cache, some memory

Prime95 Blend - test CPU, cache, memory and system bus, chipset

"my cpu voltage is 1.7"
This is a little high for a Winnie. Seems to me that you should just lower your OC until it is stable at that voltage and stay there. I wouldn't recommend adding any more voltage to try and make your system stable.

Using Prime95 is the standard stability test. Set it to "blend" and let it go. If it runs for 12+ hours then your OC is concidered (sp?) "stable".

Good luck

Random reboots simply means your OC is not stable. I also agree with amd64oc, 1.7v is alot for a winchester core. It may be working ok but I wouldnt go any higher than that unless you dont mind risking your MB and CPU.

UPDATED Results

3Dmark 01: 21356 score
3Dmark 03: 8478 score
SuperPi: + 000h 29m 34s [32m]

Stability was found at the following settings
250htt
htt multiplyer: 3x
cpu multiplyer: 10x
memory timing: 2.5-3-3-7 running at 1:1
cpu voltage: 1.55v
Northbridge(chipset): 1.5v
DRAM voltage:2.9v (may lower in the future)

temps:
Cpu temp load: 31
pmw temp load: 47
chipset temp load: 45

(these temps are not on full load just on post)

Now from here what will i need to get a higher stable overclock?
I get post with htt running at 255, 260, 265, 270, 275
but i get random reboots at that speed after a long period of using the computer.

Any recommendations for mods that will allow for a higher stable overclock would be appreciated

Last edited:
AlanD911 said:
ok thanks for the info what would be safe for a winnie? 1.55?

1.65 should be ok but winnies dont need a whole lot of extra juice. Get your max OC @ ~1.65v then try reducing voltage by .025 at a time and retest stability.

Temperatures at post/within BIOS are generally referred to as idle temps.

Load temps are usually taken while an active application is running, and full load temps are observed after a stress application has been running for long enough to allow the temperature to max and stabilize there.

Back