• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Raid Cart, SATA300 Linked

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stalin223

Registered
I'm looking to put together an external RAID cart from OEM or retail parts. I want the RAID card to be a stand alone card with a single SATA link to the motherboard. This is proving to be hard to find, since those types of cards are rarely sold individually to consumers.

My setup will be:
Normal ATX case with default power supply.
RAID Card
5x HDDs
36" SATA cable.

I'm going to modify the power supply to cycle on when a momentary (push butan!) switch is pressed. The case will have enough 5.25" slots for each HDD to be mounted in it's own little 3rd party HDD cooler, or just with those brackets the drives come with. The RAID card will be bolted to the case in the area the motherboard is normally secured. The SATA cable will be strung from my computer's case to the RAID box. This will allow me to keep my System cool, finally get myself a RAID 5 storage solution, and best of all I can easily transport it between computers that have an SATA port in them.

My big question...
Does anyone know of any RAID cards that are NOT PCI/PCI-e?

Back