• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

56k gamming...help me tweak

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syberspy9

hey guys i have a USR 56k voice host internal modem i bought.
now righ tnow i can just barly play and i algg jusmp so it so horrable i am just a bit to high i need to drop my ping..
so how do i drop my ping? i dont car about webpages download i just want to drop my ping...
i have windows xp and my computer is kick *** cutome i made it my self [email protected] ghz 1gb of pc4400 on the way and a AGP 6600GT 128mb vidoe card much more but ya my sytem rocks ply help my modem rock.

i ahve found that havving software and hardware comprestion both on gives me the best ping.
i have whent throught a few things but not much plz help.
im trying to play call of duty (COD) :shrug:

help :welcome:

You can't magically increase your ping with 56k. Your ping is never going to be within a reasonable range of players who have broadband. Throw away the modem.

I'll sound like an ***...but seriously...you bring the rest of us down with 56k. It doesn't get better...period.

yeh, Broadband is just as cheap as dial up nowadays

Or if you cant get Broadband where you live, you just change service providers, because when i had dial up with AOL, the speed was around 37kb/s instead of 56 :( and make sure you go into task manger and shut everything down :p

Yeah, can't do much to speed things up with 56K unless if you are crippled in the first place. Crippled is using a soft modem with AOL, and trojans.

I have a US Robotics modem too, I like it a lot. Even my P2 used a USR hardware modem, it was ISA. I've used other modems(soft) since then, and they always gave me problems. For some reason they seemed faster than my USR one now(connected at 52kbs instead of 45.2), but they would always do stupid things like randomly stop receiving data.

And broadband is not the same price as dialup. I pay like $12/month for my dialup. The only cable company I know if around here is Charter, and they are not cheap. When I looked into it before DSL was around $30 and Charter was around $50. I'm sure prices are lower now, but dialup is still cheap.

Syberspy, you might want to get broadband if you want to game better. I think dialup is great for me though. I only use the internet for reading/research/forums/chit-chat and buying stuff. For me, buying broadband would be like using a 3.8ghz P4 to do simple internet stuff and not gaming at all.....(look at my sig, lol)

take my word for it, if you do ANY online gaming whatsoever invest in broadband. 340k DSL is pretty cheap around where I live($30 a month) and that's more than decent for online gaming.

on another note this reminds me of a buddy of mine who was apart of a MOH:AA clan on dialup. somehow he owned up on all these peeps with DSL and above . . . but even he has DSL now.

Avro said:
i have the same problem as you syberspy, also to everyone telling him to get broadband its not that easy getting broadband when you live in a small town in the middle of no where. heres a link that might help you out http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68127&highlight=56k+tweakS

dude I know exactly what you're going thru. only I had to deal with a family that was very adverse to change and did not get any sort of broadband no matter what I said or how much I pleaded. three comps on a network would make sense for broadband but noooooo . . . . they favored their satellite TV more than their internet unfortunately. even today they still haven't got it and they no longer have me to worry about. luckily I joined the military, got out of the house, and am high flyin on my very own dedicated 640k line of DSL goodness :cool: . ahhh . . . . and I'll never go back.

well gladly i wont be on dial up forever in the fall i move back to toronto. also syberspy hopefully you've done this already but make sure windows firewall is turned off, when i was playing ravenshield online my ping would be a nice cool 1000.

thanx avro i will check out that link.
yes i live out side of cable limits not adsl and i cant see the satalite towwer to get wireless................
so untill telus puts in digital lines here there is nothing i can do...
they even charging me 26$ canadian..............thats like 22$ US for friking dial up..........

you guys are to negative u can game with dila up.. i play my call of duty with about a 300 ping right now its sucks but i think if i can get 200-250 i will be very happy

yesterday i was 30-8 thank you very much... u just have to sort tyhe servers by ping and choice the best one...
so still looking for ways to tweek this thing a bitmore for gaming

lso add the following entry to your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters

Add the parameter BufferMultiplier and give it a value of 400 hexidecimal which will make it 1024.

????????????
i dont see any buffer multaplier and there is no option to make a new one...
can u explain how to do this plz step by step im missing somthing

download the app called "modemclock" and overclock your 56k to 60 or higher... if only it was possible! i might be getting dsl in sevral months! what does everyone think of frontier dsl?? how fast?? were only about maybe 1/2mile-1mile form the exchange, so approx speed anyone??

syberspy9 said:
lso add the following entry to your registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\AFD\Parameters

Add the parameter BufferMultiplier and give it a value of 400 hexidecimal which will make it 1024.

????????????
i dont see any buffer multaplier and there is no option to make a new one...
can u explain how to do this plz step by step im missing somthing

create a new dword in parameters name it BufferMultiplier and then right click on it, go to modify then type in 400.

syberspy9 said:
you guys are to negative u can game with dila up.. i play my call of duty with about a 300 ping right now its sucks but i think if i can get 200-250 i will be very happy

yesterday i was 30-8 thank you very much... u just have to sort tyhe servers by ping and choice the best one...
so still looking for ways to tweek this thing a bitmore for gaming

I've said it for the longest while now. Playing on dial up just takes a little getting used to. If you're interested in a broadband connection, you should check these guys out.

https://secure.aei.ca/order/

They've been known to give DSL access in areas Bell/Sympatico says is unavailible.

i suffer the frustration of 56k as well, but thats only because the only provider in my area is CONcast. they charge all sorts of fees that arent mentioned beforehand and its like $70 a month for non-cable subscribers. why cant cheaper dsl expand faster?

SavageBasher said:
The only games that should be played on dial up is Tetrinet, Checkers, Blackjack, and other board games. :p

i'm with him

yeah i gotta say if you stay 56k dont play games with anyone online YOU are the lagger
and people with the slow modem make it crappy for other people
so why should we (broadband people) pay for good speeds, and you go into a game and make us as slow as YOU

sorry to say but 56k is not for gaming anymore
at least not for the BIG BOYS
fortunally for me i work for them and get it free

yeah, by choosing the game with the lowest ping you are bringing it down. asking how to game with a 56k modem is akin to asking how to play HalfLife 2 on a 486. It just isn't gonna work out, you need an upgrade.

Somebodys prolly go and find some guy that plas HL2 on a 486, just to prove me wrong. :cool:

Back