• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinion on if my PSU can run these pelts.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Alright well I have a 600watt OCZ PSU and I wanted some opinions of if my PSU could handle running these different pelts along with my system. Here is what the PSU will have to run without a tec:

Athalon Mobile 2600+ at 2.6ghz (1.9v)
2x512 OCZ Value VX extreme ram running at 3.6v
x800pro (1.7v core)
1 HD, 2 Optical drives
3 120mm fans, 3 80mm fans

Ok so now here are the specs of the 2 potential TEC's that will be running on my x800:

# 50mm x 50mm x 3.6mm
# 130 - 170 Watts of cooling power
# Operates from 0-15 volts DC and 0-15 amps

# 50mm x 50mm x 3.64mm
# 245 - 320 Watts of cooling power
# Operates from 0-15 volts DC and 0-26 amps

I am pretty sure that my 600w OCZ will be able to handle the first TEC without a problem. The big question I guess is if it can handle the #2 pelt and still manage to run my system.

I do not really want to get a seperate PSU for a TEC right now since I will have a hard time explaining it to the people that control my rent (parents). Also the potential cost and size of a dedicated non-PC PSU is a deterent at the moment. I might grab a cheap PC-PSU to run the tec's if I have too.

So basically I would like to know if you think I could get away with running either TEC with the rest of my system?

How much current is your psu rated for on the 12V line? If it is a decent amount the first pelt will probably be ok, but I don't think there is much chance of the second one being ok.

What is the power output of an x800pro? I'm pretty sure it is low enough there will be little temperature difference with either pelt. The bigger one will just be very hard to cool.

That is kind of what I was thinking I was going to get for a response. The current rating on the PSU is 20a/18a on dual lines. So it really should be able to handle the first one I think no problem. I guess the second Pelt will require its own PSU for sure.

:edit: Ugh ok after reading the sticky some more I have decided that the 170watt peltier is what I will need. The 320 watt is just not practical from an efficiency standpoint or an economical standpoint at this point in time.

Maybe when I move out for school in the fall I can go nuts with 320watt one :D.

I guess I should edit the question to " Do you think my PSU can handle the #1 pelt?".

Last edited:
Yea, but you realise that any premade gpu block only supports 40mm pelts, right?

This is fine if you're making your own, but if not, it won't fit.

sandman001 said:
Yea, but you realise that any premade gpu block only supports 40mm pelts, right?

This is fine if you're making your own, but if not, it won't fit.

:D yep I am fully aware of the fact that I will need to fabricate my own set-up. I am still thinking about how I will finally do it so I dont have a concrete plan in place yet for it. I will be posting my plan on here for approval once I get it finalized.

What you want for ease of installation (with a commercial peltiered GPU waterblock), and good performance on 12V, is a 40mm X 40mm 172W/24V peltier :)

On 12V, they draw around ~6A, and are adequate for cooling an overvolted video card below ambient. Your 600W OCZ unit has 38A on the combined 12V rails - it can easily handle a peltier with a 6A current draw in tandem with the rest of your system.

Of course, for the best results, a dedicated 24V PSU is a very good idea. I got my 24V PSU really, really cheap on eBay (it came out to something like $15 USD shipped) - some eBay searching is a good idea if you do decide to buy a dedicated PSU. In any case do not buy a brand new one - $150+ really is not worth it when you can get a used one on the cheap.

Mind you, the 24V PSU that I bought was made in the mid 70's :D

A 50mm peltier will be somewhat difficult to mount to a video card - no pre-made GPU waterblocks are designed to fit a 50mm pelt, and the mounting holes on most video cards would require a special extension piece (you could build it into your coldplate) of some sort in order for the peltier to fit between them.

You would have to modify a CPU waterblock to use a 50mm pelt properly - PM Joe Camel here on the forums, as he has modified a Slitedge CPU waterblock to fit a GPU, with a 50mm peltier :).

I would strongly advise that for your first adventure into peltiers, you start with a waterblock "kit", such as Danger Den's Maze4-1 GPU block. The main attraction of these waterblock "kits", is that they come with everything you need to thoroughly insulate the video card after installation of the block, and also come with a pre-cut coldplate. You can have Danger Den send you the superior 172W/24V peltier (instead of the 80W/16V one that the Maze4-1 GPU block usually comes with) for an extra $10 or so.

I am very, very glad that you are planning to put that card of yours underneath a peltier :). 700+ on the core should be a breeze.

Ok I found a PSU on ebay that I really like the looks of but its a 24v PSU. Here are the specs:

300w, 24v (Adj. Range 19.20-28.80), 14amps.

Now can I use this PSU with the pelts shown above? They are rated at 0-15volts and I can adjust the psu down to 19.20 volts.

Now I have no idea how electricity works but can I run this PSU with the first pelt listed in my first post? Is there a problem running a 24v PSU with a 15v peltier. Again I know nothing about how electricity works so if this is going to be a problem please do not give me TOO hard of a time :p.

Nope, it won't work. When they say 15 volts max, they are serious. You may get away with slightly more, but 19 will fry it for sure. That powersupply would work nicely for a 24V pelt though.

matttheniceguy said:
Nope, it won't work. When they say 15 volts max, they are serious. You may get away with slightly more, but 19 will fry it for sure. That powersupply would work nicely for a 24V pelt though.

Yeah I have learned that now, I think I finally have my plan for how I am going to pelt this card.

I am going to be running a Meanwell 300w 12v 25a PSU with a 245w 15v 50x50mm peltier off ebay. This should be a killer set-up for my card and I am pretty sure I will be very happy with this choice.

wow...what's the thermal output of an x800pro? I didn't think any videocards were pushing more than 60 or 70 watts, am I wrong? Or am I right and you are just going to freeze the bujesus out of that thing?

IMO stand alone psu would be good (puts you on the safe side)

just my 2cent

D

Back