• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED HELP setting up small network with a switch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

Here is the deal: I have three computer that I am trying to configure into a network with a switch. Computer A will be the server. I need computers B and C to be able to share files, connect to the internet, and so on.

Computer A does have two nics, one is for the internet, and the other is a 1394 network adapter. This is what I did: I connected the 1394 nic to the "uplink" port on the switch, then I connected Computers B and C to the switch.

Well, it doesn't work like this apparently because the network wizard gives me the "cannot complete" message. Where did I go wrong here?

This is a diagram of how my network is set up except I am using a workgroup switch instead of a network hub.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/rrrr/huh.jpg

Try not using the uplink, just plug it in to port 1, then B and C into ports 2 & 3

It will never ever work. a firewire port is no ethernet port even when it might have the same kind of socket, duh!

Buy a cheap network card for 10 bucks and put it into computer A

Klingens said:
It will never ever work. a firewire port is no ethernet port even when it might have the same kind of socket, duh!

Buy a cheap network card for 10 bucks and put it into computer A

No you must be thinking its something else, this port works when I connect it another computer to it. I just cant get it to work through the switch.

Attachments

• huh2.JPG
    huh2.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
It will never work. Firewire != Ethernet. You can connect your firewire port to another firewirse port on another computer and have a network connection, but never ever will a firewire port on the one side and ethernet port on the other work.
Buy another network card or a router already and quit wasting other people's time.

Well, look, my motherboard does have two fast ethernet controllers. One is made by Marvell, and the other is made by Realtek, but it only has two lan jacks, and one of them is called the 1394 networking controller. Now apparently this ports is capable of both firewire and fast ethernet. I will say it again, I have had two pc's on the internet at the same time. I wouldn't lie to you just to waste your time I promise.

LAN

• Supports dual LAN jacks
- 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E1111 PHY
- 1 LAN supports 10/100/1000 Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8110S (1000Mbps)

IEEE1394

• VIA 6306 chipset
- Supports up to 3 x 1394 ports
- Transfer rate is up to 400Mbps

On-Board Peripherals

- 1 floppy port supports 1 FDD with 360K, 720K, 1.2M, 1.44M and 2.88Mbytes
- 1 serial port
- 1 parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode
- 1 audio jack (5-in-1), coaxial/fibre SPDIF out
- 8 USB 2.0 ports (Rear x 4 / Front x 4)
- 2 RJ45 LAN jack
- 3 IEEE 1394 connectors (Rear x 1/ Front x 2)

Under WindowsXP any firewire adapter is set up as a networking adapter as well. So you should have 3 network adapters in your network connections.
Look in your devicemanager and you will probably see that one of your NICs doesn't have a driver installed. Install the proper driver and you should be done.

you have to enable your 2nd nic in your bios. if its not showing up in network connections its probly not even enabled. go into your bios and look for something about a network adaptor.

I believe the uplink port is for connecting two switches together, just use the normal ports. The clients will route through the server because you will set their default gateway to the server's internal IP.

Do you want to use windows running ICS as your gateway? IMHO this is asking for trouble unless you're really good at securing windows. I would get a router, it will pay for itself in power savings over a dedicated PC anyway. And crash less.

klingens said:
Under WindowsXP any firewire adapter is set up as a networking adapter as well. So you should have 3 network adapters in your network connections.
Look in your devicemanager and you will probably see that one of your NICs doesn't have a driver installed. Install the proper driver and you should be done.

Well it looks like that was the problem, usually windows detects that hardware, I guess I took it for granted. I'll be able to figure it out from here, thanks

Attachments

• ok.JPG
    ok.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 69
I also recommend reading up on networking a little more. I totally understand what you are trying to do. I just would read a little more about Windows Networking and Newbie Networking

If you are just trying to share network files what you are doing is on the right path, but after your last post, it sounds like you want one box to route traffic and do some NAT addressing. If this is the case it might be a little easier to buy a cheap router (walmart even sells them!) for $20.00 because it will do everything that you are setting up your Windows PC to use but the need to have one machine always running dwindles. This means that you would end up saving money in the long run because the router is going to use less amps because a home grade unit has generally no fans, harddrives, video, and a processor that uses little energy. Also they are solid state construction so it can run for days, months, and possibly years with little to no thought about maintenance issues or component failure.

One more thing, you didn't waste my time, I determine how I waste my own time!

Switches generally don't use uplink ports anyway these days as most can auto detect if the cable is straight or crossover on any port. Just plug all the machines into normal ports, none into the uplink port.

Back