• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audigy vs. Realtek

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axeman65

I recently installed the SB Audigy 2 ZS on my system. I was okay with the onboard audio (Realtek AC97, ALC650) but read somewhere that a PCI sound card would free up the CPU for better performance. However, my 3D Mark03 score dropped slightly (9987 to 9923 - no overclock). Can someone give me a better understanding of what's happening here? Does the onboard audio put more of a load on the CPU? I like the sound upgrade but am very much not wanting to give up a shred of video performance if I don't have to.

axeman65 said:
I recently installed the SB Audigy 2 ZS on my system. I was okay with the onboard audio (Realtek AC97, ALC650) but read somewhere that a PCI sound card would free up the CPU for better performance. However, my 3D Mark03 score dropped slightly (9987 to 9923 - no overclock). Can someone give me a better understanding of what's happening here? Does the onboard audio put more of a load on the CPU? I like the sound upgrade but am very much not wanting to give up a shred of video performance if I don't have to.

You might want to run the test a few more times, as 3DMark isn't exactly %100 accurate. I usally run my test 3 or 4 times and get an average. Make sure you have no other programs running that might interfere as well.

Did you disable the reatek in the bios? Also, anything else that you don't use such as the midi, or the gameport.

Thanks,

Okay, I hadn't thought of that. However, after disabling the on-chip audio I didn't see any improvement. It occurs to me that 3D Mark 03 may not be the best program for testing the audio as it affects framerate. Can anyone suggest a better program or some kind of game demo that displays framerate? The article I read (can't remember where) showed significant improvement in video performance with the addition of a good sound card. I don't think I would have spent the $100 if I was looking just to upgrade the audio.

Onboard does put a slight load on the CPU, when you use it. If you have a good CPU it won't show any major improvment, except in sound. Since the card will do the processing for itself not the CPU. The video and sound are separate subsytems that are tied together in the DirectX. Older rigs were effected by the onboard blues more than a modern rig, since they are less powerful.
I tend to like a better sound card for the better EAX features.

Did you notice a change in sound quality? Im upgrading to a audigy 2 zs from a ac97, which I hate.

Try overclocking your cpu see if you can get a lil more horsepower behind everything. I know that a great CPU is needed to really really push an awesome graphics card (not to say that it wouldn't work on a slower cpu) maybe is true in sound cards.

uh, try using 3dmark01 rather than 03. 01 is more computer oriented with a strong emphasis on memory and video, while 03 is basically only video card.

Back