• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rma'ing a HD because its no longer silent?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

d94

$30 a phone
i just noticed that my 40 gig lappy drive is pretty damn far from silent, its also under warrenty for another year :)

so would this be grounds for an rma since its advertised as a silent drive?

-d94

to avoid any potential hassle, record the sounds that it is making and send to the company for them to hear.

I've gone through 3 Hitachi hard drives now (60gb, E7k60), and they all made this horrible noise. At first, they didnt' believe me. After getting the mp3 and listening to it, they did advance replacement, which they don't normally do.

Is it a clicking scratching or grating noise? If so the drive is likely on its way out and i would arrange an RMA.

If it just sounds a little louder, it can happen. As hard drives get older they make more noise. Although my current 2.5yo Seagate has been doing pretty well with no funky noises and its still pretty damn quiet :)

Know Nuttin said:
to avoid any potential hassle, record the sounds that it is making and send to the company for them to hear.

I've gone through 3 Hitachi hard drives now (60gb, E7k60), and they all made this horrible noise. At first, they didnt' believe me. After getting the mp3 and listening to it, they did advance replacement, which they don't normally do.

ill contact them tomarrow since today's easter so i doubt they're open
here's the sound of the HD

Attachments

• lappy HD spinning.zip
    124.7 KB · Views: 111
Ewww... Thats sounds bad right around 4 sec.
Like kendan said run the drive diagnostic and even if that said it's okay I would rma it.

Know Nuttin said:
Uhm..yeah...i'd send that away...unless that was you cracking open a beer ;)

:beer:
the sound of the hd is after the little crackle :p

I just ran a test on a HDD last night because of the loud whine, guess what? It quit duing the diagnostics test, dead as could be. so if yours in whining loud I woulld get it replaced ASAP.

Back