• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead hard drive..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vncent_0

This topic was over at the PSU section, but now I've found out it isn't the power supply. Is it possible or easy to fry a hard drive without knowing it? I restarted my computer and was checking a connection on one of my CD drives and then when I started back up it can't detect the hard drive at all, but it detects another I put in. I wanna know if its scrap now or if theres a way to go about recovering it

Try to hook it up as a slave and see if the computer will recognize it. That will atleast tell you if it is dead or not.

Okay, I just tried that and when its hooked as a slave, it hangs when booting into Windows 2000 pro, (halfway at the loading screen), and when I disconnect it, it boots fine... agh :bang head

Sounds bad, but I would try one last thing if all else fails. Try to re-format the drive, then see if it picks it up as slave, BUT once you format all the data on that drive will be lost.

cornbread said:
Sounds bad, but I would try one last thing if all else fails. Try to re-format the drive, then see if it picks it up as slave, BUT once you format all the data on that drive will be lost.

Lots of programs can get back all the data after a format. (All being +90%)

Please run the drive diagnostic software from the manufacturer of the drive. That should be one of the first things done. You should of course back up the data if you can get to it before you run the diagnostic software. You can also try to get to the data with a knoppix CD.

Okay...I've never done anything like this before...
Basically I have a drive it wont detect, at all, so its either dead or corrupted.
What does the manufacturer's diagnostic do? And how would I go about running one of those 'undeleter' programs, and also, how would knoppix access the drive any differently to let me get to it?
Sorry for all the questions, but this has been a nonstop,terrible, headache for the past few days and I'm tryin hard at it :shrug:, normally I go by the figure-it-out-yourself method to learn and all, but I'll barter my learning experience with one of my other hard drives without my stuff on it :rolleyes: Thanks for the cooperation guys

Do the drive diagnostics first. Do not write 0's or low level format the drive just run the test

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=127203

that should tell you if there is a problem with the drive and give you an RMA # if it is in the warranty period. Then you can either put the drive in another computer as a slave drive to try to get the data off or boot with a knoppix disk to see if you can get the data off.

Thanks for the feedback guys,
I'm currently finishing setting up this computer then I'll check the diagnostic, and look at some of the file undeleters, unfortunately I dont have a knoppix CD at the moment, but I think I might have to burn one, because when I tried last, it just hung the boot when it tried to detect the bad HD. As of now though, I'm actually on a running computer, which is more than I can say a few days ago..

Okay I'm replying to bring this topic up, since I dont think it would be right to start another thread for the same problem:

I'm having the same problem still, but I can't get into windows to run drive diagonistics because when I hook up the dead hard drive as a slave, it wont detect either. It isn't a jumper setting, I've tried both on cable select in proper positions, and I've tried the dead drive on CS and S with the other on M and no luck. Also I tried it as a standalone master, and the same thing.
I'm not sure what to do, I've hooked up hard drives before, but I've never had one drivestop the other from being detected. *puzzled* Anyone?

Vncent_0 said:
Okay I'm replying to bring this topic up, since I dont think it would be right to start another thread for the same problem:

I'm having the same problem still, but I can't get into windows to run drive diagonistics because when I hook up the dead hard drive as a slave, it wont detect either. It isn't a jumper setting, I've tried both on cable select in proper positions, and I've tried the dead drive on CS and S with the other on M and no luck. Also I tried it as a standalone master, and the same thing.
I'm not sure what to do, I've hooked up hard drives before, but I've never had one drivestop the other from being detected. *puzzled* Anyone?

You do not run the diagnostics in windows. It is a bootable floppy or you can use www.ultimatebootcd.com to boot from CD and it has the drive diagnostic programs from most manufacturers.

Okay gotcha, Sorry I'm a bit new to hard drive troubleshooting. I'll make a bootdisk for it shortly. I hope I can make it to the boot screen because my computer detects the IDE drives at the first boot screen, and it normally hangs...

I started this topic a little while ago.. and am bringing it up yet again :/ My current situation is that when it is hooked to the system, it wont detect either drive(when I take it out, my normal hard drive now is detected fine), it isn't a matter of master/slave either. I ran the Seagate hard drive diagonostics; when it loads, it DOES detect my normal drive, but not my problem drive--I can't run diagnostics on it, and in short, do you guys think its dead? I mean I had alot on there, but nothing I can't reinstall/resetup, it would be better now to know that its just dead or what..

Back