• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI RAdeon 9600xt vs nVidia geforce 6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 9600XT is only 4 pipes, the 6600 is 8 pipelines. And as I have come to find out, the 256MB doesn't really make a difference.

Awesome.. I knew I could count on you guys.. I'm an nVidia user myself, and though my kneejerk reaction was to go Geforce, I didnt want to advise him purely based on that prejudice..

Thanx for the help.

hibner said:
...as I have come to find out, the 256MB doesn't really make a difference.

INteresting...you bring up an intriguing point...why is that exactly? I would think that the more onboard ram, the better....(?)
Is it that 128MB is just a "magic" number for modern day Video cards, ie anything beyond 128megs is not truly utilized.....?

128+ or 256mb of ram helps with larger textures, higher resolutions and also the AA/AF settings for faster gameplay at the highest settings. Games do use them just that the majority of games (namely older ones) rarely use the extra power to there advantage with having the larger memory on the cards.

Games today are starting to take advantage of them but its not a huge preformance boost, but every little bit helps in the long run.

deathman20 said:
Games today are starting to take advantage of them but its not a huge preformance boost, but every little bit helps in the long run.

Thanks for the explanation. I remembered when I got my card I was so psyked cause it was 256mb. And then let down cause it only benchmarked barley over the 128mb model.

Back