• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccbl91

aite i have one question
as i raise ma cpu's speed, do i like go up by 5mhz, than surf around on ma computer than reboot and reenter bios?
or can i just raise it by 5 mhz, monitor temp for a few minutes, than raise the speed again
thnx in advance

are you talking about raising your FSB by 5 mhz or your total clock speed, like from 2100 mhz to 2105 mhz. More like you up your FSB by 5 (go down to one or two as you start pushing it) and what I would do and most people would say is not only monitor your temps but run this program prime95 to test for stability. You can find it here and you want to run the torture test.

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

so basically i'll have 2 raise the FSB 5mhz, go into windows, run a torture test for a few min, than restart windows n go back into bios?
dang... this is gonna take FOREVER

yup. some motherboards have utilities you can use while windows is running, but changing the bios settings is the best. i used the windows utility to find a good starting point, then worked in the bios from there.

It's more like raising FSB by 5 Mhz and then testing stability for hours ;).

Overclocking takes some time and is far from being easy - wouldn't be fun if it was easy, would it?

Of course there are settings all cpus would do, like putting a axp-m to 11x200Mhz but finding your max 24/7 stable overclock, is hard work. Good Luck.

aite looks like this is alot harder than i thought thnx for the help

ccbl91 said:
aite looks like this is alot harder than i thought thnx for the help

it all depends on your hardware and your aims :).
Maybe you could make a sig, with your hardware in it. It would make it easier to help you in the future, also we could estimate how "easy" to reach your aims are. Good Luck.

Search around the forums and find out what your chip will probably do given your hardware.

Then, set it at a hundred mhz or so below that. No reason to start with 5mhz increments from stock. If you go to high, worst thing that will happen is its unstable until you lower it back down (as long as you dont put crazy volts into it)

ehh but don't chip's overclocking capabilities depend on the chip's stepping?

To some extent yes, but it should be possible to get a reasonable idea of what it's capable of doing :)

You can even just go crazy and bump up the speed 10, 15, or even more MHz at a time. Like nealric said, as long as you don't push extra voltage through the chip, the worst thing that will likely happen is that your comp won't turn on and you'll have to use the CMOS reset jumper. However, once you've found the point where you're computer won't turn on any more, then it's still a slow process backing it down a few MHz at a time to find where it's stable once more.

OCing isn't really difficult at all, it's just fairly time consuming :)
JigPu

i got lucky on mine, took about 45mins to find the point at which it's p95 stable w/o a voltage change. you can see the setup in my sig, and it was unstable at 234 while playing games (was in the middle of star wars galaxies getting chased by something when i locked up --- no bueno), but hasn't had a glitch and has been thoroughly tested with F@H, p95, and various types of games.

good luck to you and let us know how progress is coming along!

lol when i first build an amd system i set my FSB to 250 to start. If it won't even do that stable then i sell it on ebay and buy another. If its stable at that, then i'll prime it to make sure it's atleast stable. Then i go up 10mhz increments on my FSB till i am not stable on prime/memtest86. Then i'll bump up my ram voltage a bit and if that don't help i up my vcore about .25v.

Its not an easy task, but then again i am glad its not easy because i have learned a heck of a lot by messing up an OC and finding new things to tweek in my BIOS. Pretty much all i learned from my BIOS is all from OCing :D

If you need any help in OCing i am sure me or alot of other members here are very willing to help you out, or show you some great guides!

aite thnx i'll post up results in a bit i'm at sum gay hotel rite now
not gonna get home for a bout a week or 2
n thnx u guys are the ****

Back