• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The result of my 2.6c lapping *PICS*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EWBatOVAclockin

Well, I was reading up on lapping the heatspreader and thought what the heck, the extra 2 C's are worth it :cool: So I began with the 400 grit, then 600 grit and the last 2000 grit. There was this tiny tiny part that just would not come out but I'm not a perfectionist, so it is still there. The base was not flat at all when I started lapping it, as you can see in the pics. But enough talkin here the pics.

The original
MVC-037X.jpg

After some 400grit
MVC-039X.jpg

Some testing with 600grit
MVC-044X.jpg

And the final product(2000grit)
MVC-046X.jpg

The result's were just what I was looking for. My load temps from my current speed(see sig) at 1.56Vcore dropped from 47c load to 44c load at 31 ambient. Now when its 35c ambient its around 46-46 load, so pretty good results. This is also with the AS Ceramique burned in for about 9 hours. So overall a good clean lap :santa:

PEACE

Actually yes I was. But that also could have been due to alot of other variables other than the lapping. But now I have it stable at 3.172(243FSB) w/ 1.56 Vcore. I use to only be able to get it to 242FSB w/ 1.6Vcore and that was stable. And when I tried to run it at 243fsb with 1.6vcore it would just give out at about 5 minutes in dual prime. So not to much but I'm getting closer to my goal :cool:

PEACE

Edit: yea, I saw your pics sneaky, very nice looking. I was tryin to find something to reflect the image off of, like what you did, but all I had was my phone. I think I'm going to make my phone the reflector of my lap projects :santa: as when I did it with my HSF

PEACE

I'm quite impressed with the drop as I only found 2 degrees at load drop on mine.

Well done :)

R

Ok my temps now with 2 instances of CPU Burn-in are at 40c load. I'm trying to figure what I should go by, the prime95 temps or these. Once I figure out that my system is prime stable I'm never going to run it again unless I have too. So when I play games will it be heating the processor up as much as the CPU burn-in or prime95?

Thanks

PEACE

You should lap it down to the copper layer. Requires a heavy grit at first, but its worth it - makes up for another 2 - 4 degrees temp drop.

*edit*

after looking at the pictures again im not sure if thats copper or alu i'm looking at

Yep, it is copper. You can see the copper starting to show in the 400 grit picture.

Very nice and I am glad you got some results from it! I saw an article on the front page about this a while ago and it said sometimes lapping the heatspreader can yeild a temperature increase because the heatspreader is slightly concave and works out perfectly once it slightly bends under the pressure of the heatsink. Now, I am not sure how true this is as I have seen multiple people like yourself get an improvement on their temperatures by lapping it. I would probably do the same to my CPU, although I don't have a heatspreader. ;)

took the IHS off my A64 (dead now died at stock speeds and all to boot...) and lapped my HS and gaind 10 deg under load from 51 to 41 not to shaby!!!

Dukemurmur said:
took the IHS off my A64 (dead now died at stock speeds and all to boot...) and lapped my HS and gaind 10 deg under load from 51 to 41 not to shaby!!!

wow thats amazing. how did you lap it? how precise?

btw..i wasn't sure on the copper / alu because i was viewing the pictures on my laptop (old LCD screen that isn't too keen on white / yellow difference). It looks a whole lot more like copper on my CRT.

Sjaak said:
wow thats amazing. how did you lap it? how precise?

btw..i wasn't sure on the copper / alu because i was viewing the pictures on my laptop (old LCD screen that isn't too keen on white / yellow difference). It looks a whole lot more like copper on my CRT.

Oh yea, I know those old LCD's. They also have a response time of like 4 seconds. Try playing CS on one. :eek:

Im not sure, but he might have said he took the IHS off and lapped the heatsink. Im confused because he might mean he took the heat spreader off and lapped it or he took the heatspreader off and lapped the heatsink. :shrug:

nope, who would put the IHS back on after you removed it??

he just kept it intact... for now

muahahahahhahahahahha

I have my doubts that lapping a heatsink to a greater quality finish than the cpu surface gives you any measurable results, however if both surfaces are mirrors that is another story. Nice job.

BTW, I see you use ceramique. I hear that AS Ceramique works better than AS5 on mirror surfaces. Care to comment?

Back