• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would someone supply me a boinc linux client?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I try navigating to download it from berkely but the pages don't load and neither do they timeout.. :mad:

Anyway, I'm building a new overclockix iso and I wanted to include it.

Can't get to it either - sorry!

Edit: Would love to see an overclockix with boinc - are you going to publish this if/when you get it built?

Absolutely. However as with all previous Overclockix's folding will run by default, and boinc/prime/cpuburn/memtest are all in place and easy to use.

This new release uses Unionfs so it can overlay a modified filesystem from ramdisk over the CD contents- in essense allowing users to install and remove software and modifiy just about any file in the system when running from CD (provided there's enough ram to hold these changes).

I can't use architechure-optimized builds in a live CD. There's no telling what CPU's will be using it. The source link on that page would have be good enough... if only the internet wasn't broken right now. :(

boinc.berkely.edu
kde-look.org
linux-questions.org

just to name a few of the places which are not resolving for me right now....

Edit: whew! Saved by cvs!

Last edited:
Arkaine23 said:
Anyway, I'm building a new overclockix iso and I wanted to include it.

Well, you might be the solution to my new farm. Old farm used LTSP, clients booted off the network, very elegant, but am updating my server, LTSP is a pain, and I've found a local spot selling 8X CDROMs for $6. So for $73 all my nodes can have a CDROM.

So I'm hoping you get the linux client up and working.

Good luck! and Thanks!

Update: Uploading Overclockix 3.8 iso to my host. It has boinc, but still runs folding by default. If someone wants a specialized copy which runs boinc, they'd need to help me figure out config files and scripting so I could establish a default account & project and make a script for easy reconfiguration/restarting.

For now, you have to run a couple of commands to stop folding, attach a project & confgure the boinc client, then launch it as a service. Instructions included.

I built boinc from source and its optimized for i686 cpu's.

Easily bootable in text mode, fluxbox, icewm, or KDE. Pic of KDE 3.4-
http://overclockix.octeams.com/ocix38.jpg

It does have an LTSP server script (GUI configuration), and is HDD-installable for those who want to mess with it..... Not sure how well the PXE stuff would work with its default 2.6.11 kernel... I've had trouble with PXE-booting in other versions of Overclockix on 2.6 kernels.

Last edited:
Back