• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 3200+ OCing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMD64bit

Registered
I have the AMD 64 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E Delus AI series
RAM: (2) 512 PC 2700
Cooling: (1)80mm front antec (1)80mm side antec and (1)120mm back antec

My motherboard give me an option to actualy overclock it so I'm guessing it is a overclock ready motherboard (i dont know I'm new at all of this) but I overclocked it at 5% so instead of a 2.21 it is now a 2.31 it wont let me do a 10%OC to get a 2.4 unless someone knows how i can get it to work. right now as im typing this i am runnin prime95 and using my motherboard provided cpu temp and it is at 57c is this normal or is this bad. Also does anyone know where I could get a better cooling head and fan for my processor cause I would like to get the 120mm that fits on there but I dont know if this would be a good idea also I wana stay with air I dont wana go to liquid cooled. thanks for any replies.( i would post an image of my current results but havent figured it out yet if you would like to see them please IM me on AIM or tell me how to post them) also what is a winnie or a vinnie or whatever i see on these forums?

Last edited:
WELCOME TO OC FORUMS!!!

Those temps are a little high, are you using the AMD spec heatsink? If you want better cooling that is air, here are a couple of the best heatsinks that are affordable.

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...=Fans+Heatsinks+Case+&CMP=KNC-overturesmx(you can find this cheaper at other places)

http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?DEPA=0

As for your overclocking, it would take me alot of writing to explain it all to you since you are learning from scratch. However, I would say that your HTT multiplier needs to drop to 4x before you can go any higher; but your ram can also be holding you back too. I would suggest reading this material HERE for more complete information on overclocking, and also insert a detailed description of you components in your signature, like I have on the bottom of this post.

After you read up on this, you can hit us up for some specifics.

Rob

I would put it back to stock speeds...
57C is a little bit to hot.. max temp for an amd64 is 70C.
Your motherboards temp reading can be +10C of it's reading which is really close to 70C
A good cooler like a xp-90/120 with a nice fan will drop those temps and give you some room for o.c'ing

To post img's click the
insertimage.gif
and paste the url.
Or
Attach Files "Manage Attachments"

thanks alot guys i just stoped prime 95 it was running for like 8 and half hours and didnt find anything but one i get better cooling im going to let it run for like 24+ hours also someone said i sould post all of my specs in my sig what exactly are the specs i should list i have listed some but i dont know if i needed to list em all but im loving these forums so far everyone actualy helps eachother where on ther forums noone will anwer you thanks alot guys

Last edited:
If you want to overclock using that ram, it may be possible with a memory divider, but quite honestly, that ram is not par with the rest of your system. Your performance is taking a hit there. Do you have your ram in a memory divider already? If not, that pc 2100 may have set a world record!

Last edited:
not to be mean but I have no clue what you just said about the divider but what do you mean about my pc 2100 if i take that out it would prob run even faster without it lol

also how do i know if i have a barton or winchester or what not?

Last edited:
AMD64bit said:
not to be mean but I have no clue what you just said about the divider but what do you mean about my pc 2100 if i take that out it would prob run even faster without it lol

A memory divider is when you run your cpu front side bus at a different speed not to be any other difference than an equal fraction.

Here is an example that makes sense:

A cpu fsb of 200mhz and a memory bus speed of 100mhz will yield a 1:2 ratio or memory divider.

In your case, if your pc 2100 is running at 133mhz, and your fsb is running at 200, that would be a 2:3 memory divider.

If your cpu is running at 200mhz, and your ram is clocking 200mhz, you would have a 1:1 memory divider, which is best.

A memory divider should be an even fraction though; i.e. it should't be a 2:3.5, it should be an even 2:3. This even ratio allows data to be placed on the memory bus without missing to many clock cycles.

To answer your question about your pc 2100, you will probably be better off taking it out. It's hard to say because I don't know what your ram is capable of.

To answer your question about what chip you have, you will need to give the numbers off of the chip. If you have a socket 939, you will have either a newcastle or a winnie. Barton you do not have, that is a socket A.

On my Mother Board box it says socked 754 I have a few other question when I get a chance if you dont mind answering them I will post them as soon and I look in my bios

ok here it is

CPU Freq: 200-300
AGP OC 66-75
Processor Freq Multiplier 3-11 Increments of .5
CPU Voltage:
I think there are more but I forgot them if you have any suggestions about any of that on anything please let me know I am going to order a fan hopefuly by tomorrow night or I might get one from compusa www.compusa.com if you dont mind will you please look on their site and see if any of their fans are worth getting thanks alot in advance

Last edited:
Your chip is either a clawhammer or a newcastle. The difference between the two is the cache sizes; clawhammer having the bigger.

The agp adjustment that you listed is actually the frequency that the agp bus operates on. It has been shown that increasing the frequency provides no benefit and can actually cause an instability. I have mine set to 67 mhz as there is evidence that 67 allows a more "usable clock timing".

As for your cpu multiplier setting, the .5 increments do not work, 10.5x is actually 10x on A64. The A64 chips were not programmed to use .5 increments.

As for a fan, it depends on what heatsink you have or plan to use. It also depends on your preference; do you want a quiet fan, or a hurricane in your box. If you post a thread in cooling, those guys in there will get you set up with your best price/performance for your needs.

thanks alot i will mess with stuff and all once i get my new cooling head and fan and than let you know or whatever post what my results are oh yeah what are good progs to test and monitor and all i have prime95 but I was wondering what are some others that ppl use to monitor and get results. thanks again for helping me!!!! :bang head sometimes i feel like him <<< lol this stuff can sometimes get confusing.

ok I ran prime95 for like near 17 hours and nothing happened and I had it overclocked to... i belive it was 2.51 abouts and for some reason I cant install anything useing my CD rom does anyone know what could cause this if it is my OC or is it just my computer?

my results as of now:
http://www.freewebs.com/petec920/index.htm
dont mind the site is an old one i had for a spanish project

Last edited:
Back