• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vCore drop to 1.3v under load?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZzRicezZ

Registered
Hi,

I got the P5P800 with p4 3.4 550 prescott cpu... Is it normal for my vCore to drop to around 1.3v under load? when at idle it closer to 1.4v which is normal for my cpu..

I called up Asus support about this and they said I should RMA it, if it is causing me any problems..

I'm no expert but I think it's pretty normal for ASUS boards to droop vCore under load. There are guides for volt modding P4C800's and P4P800's to 'fix' that but I've no idea about your newer board.

i'm having the same problem when under load i get 1.3x and at idle 1.4. i'm looking into vcore mod.

1.3X from 1.4 isn't too bad. Some other boards tend to "droop" moreso than others. My Abit KD7 (crappy old AMD k7 board) "droops" more than what you guys are describing under load.

There are relatively few if not, any motherboards that do not droop or have some sort of voltage fluctuation, but as I said some are worse than others. :(

This can be solved however, by doing a "droop" mod, as is covered in that Xtremesystems thread nstabl linked to.

We also have a volt modding section: http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128

Good Luck! If it is stable though and you are not willing to go through all this just to get a higher clockspeed out of your Vcore setting, you are fine. The only problem this could give you is stability because it drops too low.

Now if you compensate for a droop, that can be a little risky. For example, if you want 1.4 volts and it droops to 1.2volts, you give it 1.6 volts to make it really 1.4, that means the CPU isn't just at 1.4, it is fluctuating from 1.4 to 1.6. If that CPU can't handle 1.6, then you have a problem. Just an example. :)

Back