• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vidalinux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

Yes...I've heard about this one...Gentoo with an installer...yay....

Either way, I have this installed. Scince I've been too busy to do a stage 1 or 2 install, I dont know much about Gentoo. And especially this "emerge". Since i've been with Lycoris (which, IMO, is one of the best), I have no clue on how to use most of gentoo's/Debian's commands...

Anyone have anything I should know?

emerge is the command for installing packages. For example, if you want to install kde, you type "emerge kde" and it downloads, compiles and installs kde and all its dependencies. You can also search packages emerge -s string searches for string in package names. emerge -S string searches in the names and descriptions.

edit: emerge sync updates the portage tree and emerge -u world --deep will update all of your installed packages to thte latest version.

I have decided to do a stage 1 install of Gentoo (2004.3)

I have 3 questions...

1st...KDE or Gnome?

2nd...LILO or GRUB?

3rd...how long does a stage 1 take on 64 megs of RAM with 720 MB of swap space?

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I have decided to do a stage 1 install of Gentoo (2004.3)

I have 3 questions...

1st...KDE or Gnome?
I prefer KDE over Gnome, but everyone is different. With 64M of ram, you may want to look for something a little lighter. My favorite WM is icewm, and it's very light on resources.
2nd...LILO or GRUB?
I prefer grub, but both work in most cases.
3rd...how long does a stage 1 take on 64 megs of RAM with 720 MB of swap space?
With a 700MHz athlon, and 64m of ram it will take a long time. I think you should see if you can scrape together a few $ and pick up some PC100 cheap.

PC100 costs $50 bucks at newegg for 256 MB. What the hell?

Yeah, I thought KDE would be good, and then when I got in, I was thinking IceWM or Fluxbox...

I'm thinking a good 40 hours...

XFCE, nice polished light window manager, looks pretty, works nice and runs well on slower machines with little memory.

bootloader, i prefer Grub, but lilo works fine

stage 1 umm... a long time lol

Back