• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the difference between being prime stable and CPU-burn in stable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EWBatOVAclockin

Well I have recently been burning in my cpu at my current speed, see sig. But at 1.55Vcore it won't run for more than 7 min with dual prime. BUT when I run dual cpu-burn in WITH error checking enable it run's all night and day without stopping. So what is the big difference, and am I technically stable at this speed?

PEACE

Ya I know that, but I was running it WITH error checking so that it would stop if any error occured as prime would do. I've done both with out and with the error checking and it still ran 15+ hours. Sooooo any ideas?

PEACE

EWBatOVAclockin said:
Ya I know that, but I was running it WITH error checking so that it would stop if any error occured as prime would do. I've done both with out and with the error checking and it still ran 15+ hours. Sooooo any ideas?

PEACE

Actually, I don't think cpu burn-in stops if there are errors, it just reports them(could be wrong). I've also had experience where cpu burn-in didn't properly report errors even though they were happening. I'd count on prime-95 for error/stability checking.

Hey Ewbat, i seem to have the same prime problem, @ 3.8 my rig will run 24hr+ with every program and game i have installed open and running, like im talking UT2004, half life 2, winamp, photoshop, cpu burn * 2, winamp 3d visualisations all open at once, i cannot crash my pc no matter what i do to it or how long i do it for.

But interestingly enough, with dual primes my pc will restart after 30 minutes or so if i use it like for browsing as well and winamp, it will do 5 hrs + if i just leave both instances running with nothing else going, but it also wont let me do one instance of prime while using the pc for normal use.

Ie after 20 minutes of one prime instance if im using winamp or browser or anything else on pc it will just restart, so i gots no idea. If i cant actually actively cause my pc to crash by loading every stressfull program i have installed at once and using each one of them, then as far as im concerned im stable regardless of whether prime 95 will run.

I wish i knew y this happened though.

Set your system to default settings and see how much you can run, you should be able to run everything you listed at once at default. As for over clocking if you think its stable and can run all your games at that speed enjoy the faster speed . Some guys think 1 prime is stable and are happy.I can run dual prime95 stable all day at some settings but as soon as I add a graphics load( atitool find max memory) it will crash, but if I run 1 prime95 and atitool its stable so I run all three and when it dosnt crash I call that stable.It depends on what you want.

Yea I got that. But right now I can't see if it runs all my games stable, because I've yet to get a new video card:( So just for now I'm seeing how stable it is just by doing everyday things. And that's holding up pretty well.

I'm trying to hit the lowest Vcore I can get with these speeds then once I have that stable(my version of stable) then I will try to get to my goal of 3.2. So for now I'm just going to run this thing as much as possible, and wait for my card :bang head . Thanks for all the input :cool:

PEACE

Back