• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to ground a power supply?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gessfk

I recently thought my psu was a piece of crap, and someone said that it might be because it's not grounded, or grounding with something it shouldn't. it's sitting on top of my case, and if i touch like any of the power connector cables, they'll lose power, and it's really sensitive and stuff. Also, now that I moved the comp around, it's like the cpu is skipping when i load movies, and at random times and stuff.. so I'm thinking, maybe since I moved the comp, it's getting worse or something.. oh yeah, and i can't screw it into the case obviously, the mounting screws are backwards and the fan grill prevents it from being screwed into the case

I've got some power cables hanging down too that were touching the bottom of the case, and I ended up putting them in water bottle caps for some reason, do you think that does anything? it's a brand new enermax 460watt psu, but it's so fidgity like I said above.. it'd be great to know it's not the actual psu, but just how my dumb *** has it set up

Last edited:
you can't screw it into the case why?

you have to open the case and screw in the PS. The PS is supposed to be INSIDE the case. Who set this thing up for you?

The case is painted (I hope). The paint insulates the PS, but normally the mobo is grounded on at least one screw or the ATX backplate so there should normally not be a grounding issue.

First put the PS where it's supposed 2 go.

Well, the PSU is grounded through the 3rd prong on it's power cord. The metal on the PSU is connected to this and supposed to be connected to the case, but it shouldn't give you any problems if it's not. What may be a grounding issue if if you have a lose wire somewhere, but that grounding out would cause worse than video skipping (more like instant off, if your psu has overcurrent protection, a good deal of smoke if it doesn't).

Why doesn't it fit in your case? Are you mixing ATX with BTX or something?

Back