• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

High Framerate but Choppy...???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Ok, I'm having a problem, and it might be related to an unstable processor, but here goes.

9800 pro @ 425 / 400
3dmarks 6,904

When running 3dmark 2003, the jerkieness doesn't occur on the first test, but the second / 3rd / fourth gaming tests are horribly jerky, even though the average fps never drops below 40 fps. And I've never seen the fps drop as low as they'd have to be to cause the jerkiness. It's like things sort of warp around a little bit between frames. like it will go forward 5 frames then go back 2 frames, etc etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?'

I'm using the latest omega drivers.

Last edited:
are you using an lcd? just run prime95 to see if the cpu is stable, and vsync would probaly help but that would lower you 3d score

have you tried official nVidia drivers?? and what about vsync?? im guessing you are getting tearing... try vsync first, then try the nvidia drivers.

I know just the problem. Jekiness is cause by the videocard's GPU running too high. Trust me. Turn down the GPU overclock and it will be smooth again. Even if no artifacts show up that doesn't mean anything. The core is still too high. I have had this happen on 9800pro's and 9700pro's.

Nah, it's neither of those things. If you read it, it's not a vsync problem. The frame itself isn't "tearing" I know what that looks like. And it's not the high GPU problem. Because it does the same thing at 300 * 300 that it does at 425 * 400.

I think it was a problem with my FSB being too high, as it seems to have deminished. (yes agp lock was on)

Scar said:
believe it or not but a weak power supply can do it.

Yep agreed. A weak power supply or as Quailene said the gpu being clocked too high. I just had experienced this through my x800pro and when it's clocked too high, you'll find that your stock clocks are "smoother".

Back