• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with problems with sharing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

big_dish

Ok. I have read the above stickies and still nothing is working. :( I have tried a few different things and nothing works. Here's the story/setup:

Computer 1: XP pro. Sharing enabled. Win Firewall off. Zone Alarm Firewall
Computer 2: XP home. Sharing enabled. Win Firewall off. Norton Firewall configured to accept the IP's.
Computer 3 (laptop): Xp Home. Sharing Enabled. Win Firewall off. Zone Alarm Firewall

I have ran the Network Configurator on all pcs. I have setup folders on each system to be shared.

All computers belong to the same Workgroup. All cp's have different cp names. Yet when I try to connet to say \\computer1\shareddocs, it tells me that I have no access to it.

I have a motorola cable modem, connect to a Netgear WRG614v4 router, then the computers connected to that.
That didn't work.

I also tried to connect the modem to the router to the a Netgear FS105 Switch. I get internet access, but still can't get sharing.

What am I missing????
I have been messing with it for a good 5 hours now and it's driving me up a wall.

***Idea***
I am going to go to the bar and see what everbody has to say and figure this out tomorrow. If I keep messing with it tonight, something will end up getting broken. :( :bang head :bang head

PLEASE HELP!

Anybody???

My idea was good at first (bar thing) but the $200 bar tab sucked and so did the next day hangover. :(

My first suggestion is to try it with all firewalls disabled. Whether or not you have them configured (especially Windows and Zone Alarm firewalls) makes little difference in my opinion. Both tend to be a pain in the *** when you try to set up a connection. Disable them, then set them back up one by one, and you'll see what's screwing you up.

Also, check your network IPs. If your trying to set them up using DHCP on the router, try assigning static IPs, see if that makes a difference......

RedDeathDrinker said:
My first suggestion is to try it with all firewalls disabled.

I had the same problem until I turned off my firewall. I couldn't figure out how to give it access through it, so I gave up. I just trun it off when I need to share, that's a pain, but it was more of a pain trying to figure it out the other way.

I will try and turn them all off and see if that works. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks.

I'm guessing that if you can't access \\computer1\shareddocs, then accessing \\computer1\ is giving you the same error, yeah?

big_dish said:
Ok. I have read the above stickies and still nothing is working. :( I have tried a few different things and nothing works. Here's the story/setup:

Computer 1: XP pro. Sharing enabled. Win Firewall off. Zone Alarm Firewall
Computer 2: XP home. Sharing enabled. Win Firewall off. Norton Firewall configured to accept the IP's.
Computer 3 (laptop): Xp Home. Sharing Enabled. Win Firewall off. Zone Alarm Firewall

I have ran the Network Configurator on all pcs. I have setup folders on each system to be shared.

All computers belong to the same Workgroup. All cp's have different cp names. Yet when I try to connet to say \\computer1\shareddocs, it tells me that I have no access to it.

I have a motorola cable modem, connect to a Netgear WRG614v4 router, then the computers connected to that.
That didn't work.

I also tried to connect the modem to the router to the a Netgear FS105 Switch. I get internet access, but still can't get sharing.

What am I missing????
I have been messing with it for a good 5 hours now and it's driving me up a wall.

***Idea***
I am going to go to the bar and see what everbody has to say and figure this out tomorrow. If I keep messing with it tonight, something will end up getting broken. :( :bang head :bang head

PLEASE HELP!

Im having the very same issue. Maybe I should try heading to the bar also. also!

Ok. When I turn ZA off, it worked fine. Then I went into ZA and added my other machines IP's as Trusted Zones and it works fine.

When I first looked at ZA, I thought it was an IP Range set up, not just an individual ip.

So now I can share between my machines.
Thanks for all the help.

cmitchellfly said:
Im having the very same issue. Maybe I should try heading to the bar also. also!

I still don't know what sucked more, the hours of working on the sharing, or the $200 bar tab and terrible hangover, only to find out I need to turn off/configure ZA. :(

Back