• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Something I have bever encountered before

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SomaGaze

OK, here are the specs. this is an old comp used for folding...

Asus P4B
p4 1.7 (old 100MHz FSB)
768MB RAM
WinXP Home
Antec PSU

Here we go: Its been up for over two months. I needed to move my folding comps to another room. So i shut them all down. This one never shut down, just hung at the "windows shuting down" screen for 10mins or so, so i held the power button until it turned off. Once i moved them, i hooked em al back up and turned them on, got them into windows and ensured FAH loaded up and started folding. This computer did not want to start up.

I press the power button, then fans, lights and HDD's turn on. About 3 secs after they turn on, the system turns off and the power light blinks for a long time (even with the comp unplugged from the wall). That about describes it right there. I'm trying to find out what is wrong so i can decide if its worth it to repair. I'd rather not buy another mobo, but i could spare 20-30 bucks for another PSU.

Anypne had this problem before, or anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks...

It almost sounds like the power button may be stuck. It is just a momentary switch after all. As a test, you could pull the power switch from the MB and use a small screw driver (or other metal object) to turn it on. The idea is to simply touch and then release the two pins that the power switch plug was in. Be carefull not to short anything else. Just another option.

Of course, I lean towards the PSU as stated above.

Borisw37 said:
True !
Is it possible that the heatsink came loose, or is not sitting properly after the move?

It should still turn on though, ive ran comps without heatsinks before and they shut off after i dont know, 3-5 seconds.

thanks for the input guys. its not a stuck power switch, cpu and nb heatsink are still on as solid as they were before. i remounted the cpu and it still does the same thing. i'm leaning toward a 250-300w antec psu.

my original purpose for this thread was to see if it was some type of pre-POST interlock, and someone would know what it meant. i thought a flashing power light could mean something...

Back