• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce256 vs. tnt2???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jarod

hi guys, how does a geforce256 compare to a tnt2 (i've got the tnt2 now) and i *may* be getting a geforce256 from a guy i know (i can't beat the price!! FREE!!) how does it compare to a tnt2? would need for speed underground 2 and prince of persia:sands of time run on it?? what kind of 3dmark scores could i get?? any possible softmods/bios-flash/oc mods that could be done??
thanks a lot, i'll let you know if i get it!!

oh yea, does it have pixel shader or fsaa/af?? or any other fancy stuff like that?? does it have "hardware"?? because my card *claims* that it uses software in 3dmark, because it doesn't do hw-tnl. what kind of features does it have??

hahahaha, I know you're not serious, but funny nonetheless. Just to humor you though, my overclocked tnt2 32mb card got a 3dmark2k1 score of about 750

These are really nice cards, no need to laugh about them.
I could play Halflife (1!) all day with my TNT2 ;).
Serious, the Geforce256 is quite a bit faster, but it won't be able to run most modern games very well. Games like HL2 can be run in some low Directx modes, but it looks ugly, lol.
Just swap cards, but don't think about underground2, think about need for speed 2 ;).

need for speed 4 runs fine on my tnt2, but no go on undergorund eh?? ah well, i'll probably get the card anyway, btw, my tnt2 at stock gets a 1000 in 3dmark2k1, and i AM serious (forgot about april fools day when i posted)

NFS UG and Prince of Persia *MAY* run with everything turned down at 640*480. And that's if you have an adequate CPU and RAM etc.
A Geforce256 is a revolutionary step from a TNT2, whose chief competitor was the Voodoo3. However, as exciting as it may have been for the cavemen to discover fire or to invent the wheel, these two cards serve the same role as the foundations of modern 3D Hardware.
To put it in perspective, the GPU in the XBOX is over 3 times more powerful and also adds pixel shader/vertex shader in hardware features. The Geforce256 has no hardware support for shaders. It is a purely DirectX 7.0 part. The only thing it does in hardware is basic Transformation and Lighting calculations. (DX6/7)
The Geforce2 added basic CPU driven Vertex shading abilites, but was not fast enough to render any of them! (DX7)
The Geforce3 built on the previous feature sets and added basic, though slow FSAA and Pixel Shader support (DX8)

It's time to bite the bullet and upgrade if you want to start playing games where the baseline hardware requirement is a Geforce3 class card or faster. :rolleyes:

i'm going to get a radeon 9800 soon, but i thought that this geforce might hold me for a while better than this tnt2 has, i'll see if he'll still give it to me!

Man i had a tnt2 8mb card in my hp p3 500mhz machine. Man that thing could play any game at the time. Was a great card back in the day!

Oh man you will drool over the difference between your tnt2 to a 9800pro. Good luck man!

Back