• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OCZ MODSTREAM +12v is at 11.67!! :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f1re

Registered
I just replaced my Generic 400W PSU with a OCZ Modstream 450W. The Modstream cost me at least 5times as much yet i am not happy.....my old gerenic psu 400w had its +12v at around 11.80. Now my new OCZ Modstream 450W has its +12 at 11.67! Wtf is going on? As you can see i am very unhappy and hurt in my feelings// :'(

Does anyone knoe why/what is casuing my +12 to be so low? I kow i should use a multimeter, but according to SPEEDFAN my gerenic PSU has a better +12.....SPEEDFAN mesaured my old gernic PSU's 12v at 11.86. ANd now on the same system and same SPEEDFAN its reading my new OCZ MODSTREAM's 12v as 11.67-11.55.... that what ****ing me off and making me want to cry.

Last edited:
Is your system stable? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Only a multimeter will be able to tell you what's actually being put out by the PSU - I have seen software readings be off by further than that, yet when measured the PSU was ok. My own board is an example - my CPU runs from the 5v rail, and with a huge overclock going I sometimes see it drop to 4.49v in software. Yet, the Fortron 530w I am running never measures below 5.09v.

Yeah what OW said.

On my PSU it was showing .5v differance between the software and a multimeter. Unless your getting instability or reboots then don't be worried. Go out and spend like $15 and get a decent multimeter for piece of mind :D

Yes i know i should use a didgital meter but i am sad that SPEEDFAN measured my onld PSU gernic +12v at about 11.80 and now on the same system (just replaced the PSU), my OCZ is giving poor-er results. Even without using a multimeter, shouldnt at least my OCZ be perfoming/have beeter rails then my old PSU on SPEEDFAN?

forget speedfan, performance isn't measured by my idle voltages, you should check how much the rails fluctuate under load

ok, lets just say the real reading for the old psu is 12.18v and under load it drops to 11.50v, where as the real reading for the OCZ is 12.05 and under load it drops to 12.03v, don't know about you but id rather have the psu with the more stable rails..... oh i noticed its a modstream you have which is still good but not as performance oriented as the powerstream so expect too much out of it

That depends... your old PSU may have actually been overvolting the 12v rail. Some cheap generic models, like Deer, are known for it. There's really no way to tell without that meter.

do you actually use your computer and experience any problems or do you sit there staring at Speedfan all day?

If you have no problems, then there is nothing to fuss about unless you use a DMM and measure to eliminate any doubts. If your rails are indeed bad, then contact OCZ and see if they will give you a replacement.

masure the voltages directly from the power supply (molexes), the mobo voltage sensors don't give you crap for accurate readings, just like mobos often report temps w/ +/- 10% error... same thing happens with voltages

now if you take a multimeter and find that the voltages directly from the PSU are below spec., contact OCZ about it, they're usually nice enough to offer a replacement for that kind of stuff

and its a little too late, but i would've suggested a powerstream to you instead of the modstream, #1 reason being the adjustable voltage pots

Back