• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New router causing problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deku12345

Registered
I got a linksys BEFSX41 and ever since I've been having a lot of issues. AIM is constantly signing off and then back on every 15 minutes or so. I also can't seem to access many websites, including msn, gamespot, deviant art, and many others. My brother's computer, who is on the same network, hasn't been experiencing any problems whatsoever. We both have the exact same version of AIM. I've tried multiple browsers with no results. Any suggestions?

EDIT: It seems I can access msn now, but deviant art and gamespot are still not loading.

Based on what you are saying, "My brother's computer, who is on the same network, hasn't been experiencing any problems whatsoever." I would say the problem is with your PC and not the router.

>update the NIC driver
>run the usual spyware progs

Whats the NIC driver? I'm a bit of a noob to networking, I had a guy come down and set it all up.

ok NIC stands for network interface card, it's basically a card that plugs into your computer and connects you to the router, and the router connects you to the internet.

Are you on wireless (important question)

You can find out what NIC you have by right clicking on my computer and clicking properties, then going to the hardware section and clicking device manager. Then find the thing that says network adapters and click the plus sign. It should show something like this. Tell us what it says and we can help you find the drivers for your card, but it should be at the manufacturer's website.

Last edited:
Oh, that. Its a realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet. We had a wierd network before we got cat6 cables in here and a proper router. It required this card for some reason.

I feel like an idiot, but how do I install these things? I'm used to an auto installer, but there is none in this thing.

UPDATE: It seems now my parents and my brother can no longer access any of the website that I can't access. My brother still has no problems with AIM however.

Back